Would you buy a 365 xtorq over a modern equivilent

Echo

3 minutes ago, MattyF said:

Never liked the 372 , mine always
Constantly broke, it did have better vibes than the stihls of the period though but and the 365 was a bargain for what it was, not as highly strung ... can’t fault the 400 though but the jury is still out.

Have you got a 400 yourself, yes early days regarding these newer models.

7 minutes ago, MattyF said:

Constantly broke, it did have better vibes than the stihls of the period though but and the 365 was a bargain for what it was, not as highly strung ... can’t fault the 400 though but the jury is still out.

We  all have different experiences Matty . For me , when we were in the 3 series only of saws the 372 would have been my saw of choice if I could of only had the one saw .  I sold one to get a 375xp and did not like it at all . Weighed about the same as a 385XP and had less power . So I sold that and got another 372 which Spud ported for me and will keep that for ever , untill I die ,which might be later on tonight  ?

Edited by Stubby
  • Like 2

Had one for a while as my woods saw, it is good in hardwood haven’t really worked in any soft wood plantations to give a verdict this year ,but plenty of torque more than the 560xp , Bill Pearce had a brief go and thought it like a ms440 in terms of power ... it feels more like a traditional stihl though like the 440 more so than the 462 which feels like it could of been a husky.
With the magnesium piston I was expecting quicker pick up or I guess more of a husky type raspy Rev.
It picks up very nice but doesn’t seem to really scream like a 560xp.
Vibrations seem very good though.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Toad said:

Some of the 372 x torqs have plastic caged bearings apparently. Not sure if they really suffered more bearing failures or if it was just people made more of a fuss about then because they were the x torq models 

Never had an Xtorqaue . Only XP saws .

1 minute ago, MattyF said:

Had one for a while as my woods saw, it is good in hardwood haven’t really worked in any soft wood plantations to give a verdict this year ,but plenty of torque more than the 560xp , Bill Pearce had a brief go and thought it like a ms440 in terms of power ... it feels more like a traditional stihl though like the 440 more so than the 462 which feels like it could of been a husky.
With the magnesium piston I was expecting quicker pick up or I guess more of a husky type raspy Rev.
It picks up very nice but doesn’t seem to really scream like a 560xp.
Vibrations seem very good though.

I think you / we are all lucky it doesnt scream like the 560, it revs plenty from my

experience with the nutter who started one for me in the Stihl shop yesterday, it

is difficult to cut hardwood with a saw that revs too high, it makes it want to hop,

better off with a normal speed and good torque.

8 minutes ago, MattyF said:

But to be fair, I wouldn't class your use as being "careful" or your kit as being "well looked after"!!!

Your hedge trimmer would concur - I don't think being lobbed out of the top of the hedge when it was playing up did it any favours?

No offence....we still reminisce down here and the vast majority of it is good?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think the magnesium piston is to address other issues,

it being lighter is only a marketing thing.

There was ghosting on the pistons of a lot of the new Stihl strato saws,

I figure we wont see any with the magnesium piston and what ever

coating is on it, as it will be harder to wear.

Edited by Echo