minimum business set up??

Taking into account how much money you have spent on gear I reckon your advertising budget should have been much more than £300 - considering that you are a new business.

Some of the gear I had already to be honest,

Decided to take it seriously last month. Baught a chipper (Local hire one is dangerously crap and £100 a day) Baught a top saw and going on 38 39 and putting groundie through 30, 31 and 38. Baught ectra insurance to cover tools and liability required to approach council work.

When I started I had an E-Bay 024 saw £150, a bow saw, some pruners, a ladder and a £600 trailer. The truck was already mine. The rest has built up as I needed them.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm in the process of setting up around my full time job. Doing "Favours" for people anything from take downs to hedges jsut to gain as much experience as I can. Whatever I do earn is put back into buying more kit. I've always climbed whether it be trees or rocks. Just need to get a bit more used to getting out into the crown a bit further which I'll practice over the summer evenings in the local woods. I do a bit of firewood here and there as well. I've go the potential of a small yard for a tenner a week. I'm struggling at present as I don't have my land rover on the road but once its done then more work is an option. I've got a couple of saws and a silky, ropes and harness etc really could do with another rope and a lowering rope which is on my list of things I need. I'm looking at doing my trailer B+E jobbie and getting a 2 tonne trailer and doing more firewood as its a good earner round my way. Any brash will be saved and chipped in a mass chipping effort again till I've got the pennies to by a chipper.

The most important thing for me though is I'm not affraid to tell people I can't do a job for one reason or another. If I've not got confidence in my skills for a job then I might not tell them but make up another excuse as to why I can't do that job. To get to where I am has taken 10 months or so. I need to bite the bullet at some point but I also need to pay the mortgage.

work for as many different arb companys as you can i sub to around 10 and yu learn different stles and ways of working. Plus your earning.

Problem is you're earning money for another company instead of your own and your good work is seen as the good work of the company that you're subbing to.

I'm in the process of setting up around my full time job. Doing "Favours" for people anything from take downs to hedges jsut to gain as much experience as I can. Whatever I do earn is put back into buying more kit. I've always climbed whether it be trees or rocks. Just need to get a bit more used to getting out into the crown a bit further which I'll practice over the summer evenings in the local woods. I do a bit of firewood here and there as well. I've go the potential of a small yard for a tenner a week. I'm struggling at present as I don't have my land rover on the road but once its done then more work is an option. I've got a couple of saws and a silky, ropes and harness etc really could do with another rope and a lowering rope which is on my list of things I need. I'm looking at doing my trailer B+E jobbie and getting a 2 tonne trailer and doing more firewood as its a good earner round my way. Any brash will be saved and chipped in a mass chipping effort again till I've got the pennies to by a chipper.

The most important thing for me though is I'm not affraid to tell people I can't do a job for one reason or another. If I've not got confidence in my skills for a job then I might not tell them but make up another excuse as to why I can't do that job. To get to where I am has taken 10 months or so. I need to bite the bullet at some point but I also need to pay the mortgage.

Don't forget that buying a chipper will mean you pay bugger all income tax for a year - even if you buy it on credit.