MS211c weird problem

Dinosaw

Thanks for the update Dinosaw. That's a real puzzle then,  but as it has the standard side cover at least that explains why you can feel the compression cycle on the starter cord - you would not feel it with easy start side cover. 

How about the side cover has been swapped to a std one but they fitted a starter pulley from a different saw - a small pulley requiring more pull on the cord to give the same torque on the crank ? Maybe the easy start model has a smaller pulley ? Bit of a punt....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bmp01 said:

Presume it's a standard piston  (not aftermarket) and there isn't a mega amount of carbon on piston or in the combustion chamber ?

Pulley normal size, piston and barrel original stihl, with very little wear. No abnormal carbon buildup in combustion chamber. As stated earlier, this is a saw that has seen very little use. Starter cover looks like a straight swap for a 211 with nothing wrong with the action. How do you lot get the sealant off the clamshell joint? And thanks for all the input!

7 hours ago, Dinosaw said:

Pulley normal size, piston and barrel original stihl, with very little wear. No abnormal carbon buildup in combustion chamber. As stated earlier, this is a saw that has seen very little use. Starter cover looks like a straight swap for a 211 with nothing wrong with the action. How do you lot get the sealant off the clamshell joint? And thanks for all the input!

Can you try the starter of another known saw that works properly ? just to eliminate the starter cover .

9 hours ago, Dinosaw said:

How do you lot get the sealant off the clamshell joint? And thanks for all the input!

Nothing scientific, just scratchy tools. Flat surfaces - I use knife blade something line a Stanley blade,  the fake o ring groove - small screwdriver followed by drill bit (blunt end) with end ground square, groove doesn't need to be perfect. It's a PITA and a consumer of time.... Not found anything to dissolve the cack which I suppose can be seen as a good thing in service.

I like Stubby's suggestion, when it's back together. Similarly, taking the bar and chain off might help to locate the problem.  

Sharp wood chisel on the old gasket. 

My money is still on old oil causing Mega compression, seen that before. It is usually this or fuel in the crankcase causing a lock. 

Just reassemble after cleaning the bore with WD40. Use no oil and try it again. Reckon it will be back to normal! 

On 5 October 2020 at 16:37, spudulike said:

Sharp wood chisel on the old gasket. 

My money is still on old oil causing Mega compression, seen that before. It is usually this or fuel in the crankcase causing a lock. 

Just reassemble after cleaning the bore with WD40. Use no oil and try it again. Reckon it will be back to normal! 

Sorry Spud, not a trace of any old oil anywhere, not tight bits on crank, bearings excellent. Just started reassembling and forgot to put the manifold on. Idiot!

15 hours ago, Dinosaw said:

Sorry Spud, not a trace of any old oil anywhere, not tight bits on crank, bearings excellent. Just started reassembling and forgot to put the manifold on. Idiot!

I'd like to see them put these engines into the housing in the factory. Seems to be a real puzzle wiggling it into place while the engine pan is sitting loosely on the upper clamshell. Prefer the older 170/180 in that respect - still a fiddle but at least the engine is assembled tight at that stage. 

Here's what I did to a 181.... makes life a lot easier but not exactly practical for a DIY. 

20160511_200808-1.jpg

20160511_205713-1.jpg

20160511_204307-1.jpg

On 07/10/2020 at 09:21, bmp01 said:

I'd like to see them put these engines into the housing in the factory. Seems to be a real puzzle wiggling it into place while the engine pan is sitting loosely on the upper clamshell. Prefer the older 170/180 in that respect - still a fiddle but at least the engine is assembled tight at that stage. 

Here's what I did to a 181.... makes life a lot easier but not exactly practical for a DIY. 

20160511_200808-1.jpg

20160511_205713-1.jpg

20160511_204307-1.jpg

That's what I do and then leave it for 24hours for the sealing material to go off. Pity they don't bolt up before you fit them though. Put manifold back on today, will let you know what happens when I've finished.