Next Step/What Now?

rcarolina

Now that I have passed CS38/39 and I have CS30/31 I have the basic tickets to get started in arb work. However I'm not really sure where I should be looking to start. At 42 I am a little older than the average entrant but have several years hort experience and two years ground saw experience and I am well used to hard work.

I am about to send my cv and a covering letter to a large selection of firms in my area to see how things lie but as a newbie should I be looking to start on the ground or get climbing straight away - I think I need to be taken under an experienced partactioners wing. I am painfully aware that the training does not take into account any pruning procedures other than branch removal and pruning cuts. How do I learn crown reduction, thinnning etc? Is my current status that of a second climber or should I market myself as a trainee cliber/groundie? Any advice gratefully received and fingers crossed for a positive response from my mail shot.

Cheers.

Dave.:thumbup:

Nice one and congrats on passing them both! :thumbup1: I would say just be honest and open with any potential employer. Stress that you are new but you are chomping at the bit to get climbing and learn, and take on any job that you are capable of (know your limits tho). Most decent people will know where you are coming from and if they give you a chance they shouldn't expect you to be running at full speed! sorry rambling:blushing: hope that makes sense:001_rolleyes:

Well qualifications dont mean alot other than you can do the bare minimum but well done still. What will give you a chance is offering to work for a very competitive day rate as plenty of climbers right now with little work so if you can handle working cheap you should find work.

When things pick up say march then consider asking for more the company will also have seen your performance and be able to estimate what your worth.

Good luck its tough right now as always but persist:biggrin:

You can't look for work as a climber, no way. You'l embarass yourself and waste soemones time. Go for it as a groundie, you have the rescue ticket so you can work directly with a climber as apposed to just beign the third person (dragger) so that will get you some experience and insight into the job.

Regardless of age you are a trainee and you will start on the ground, You'll drag brash and it will build up from there and as you get more confident/used to doing the job, you'll get more responsability, Try and get in with a good company and they should give you the experience that will bring your career on nicely :thumbup1:

Try and get in with one of the bigger firms as they'll probably give you more opportunity to do a bit of climbing as well as dragging brash. As for learning how to do reductions etc if you're working with experienced climbers just watch what they do and learn from them-it's not rocket science you'll soon pick it up! Also just take any opportunity to get a bit of climbing practice in-maybe just head out and do a bit of rec climbing at weekends. All the best anyway...

All good advice there mate.

You'll definatly be starting on the ground though, but thats where we all have to start.

Hopfully you'll get on with a good boss who after a bit lets you get up the trees & do a bit at your own pace, but keeping a patient eye on you with constructive criticism. That'll be how you find your own tecnique & climbing style.

Good luck with the job hunt :thumbup:

Here ends my ramble for today :biggrin: sorry i know i go on a bit

• 2 weeks later...
& do a bit at your own pace, but keeping a patient eye on you with constructive criticism. That'll be how you find your own tecnique & climbing style.

Well said, had a bad experience where this just wasnt the case, complete opposite to be honest, especialy the ""own pace" and "constructive criticism" parts!

As already said. Been keen, take oportunities, stick at it, don`t try to run before you can walk and don`t be pressured into doing things you`re not happy with. Get in with a good company and you will learn good things from good people. Get in with a bad company and you won`t!!

Good luck.

Depends on what you want to do.

If working for someone else is what you want, then you'll probably start on the ground on a pittance.

If you want to do your own thing, find a climbing partner, get some climbing practice in, read up about pruning, maybe do CS40, practice pruning on private trees for free, then go get your own work.

If you act professional, do your homework, put safety first and dont take on anything too technical/big until you've built your confidence, you'll be fine and earning fair pay.

Most important thing to remember is to stay scared in the tree by thinking what would happen if you fell!! If you climb with this mind set you'll always double check everything and take no chances.

The biggest problem you'll have is waste disposal so think about how your gonna get rid of a ton of leylandii brash from someones back garden.