Some people! beech reduction, too much?

Tony Croft aka hamadryad

Maybe your last post answered some of the questions.

The key is communication or probably more importantly is managing expectations.

Regardless of hat has been spec'ed by the company, I always discuss what they want to see at the end. and then let them know clearly what you will do to achieve their expectations.

afterwards, there is usually no comeback. as it has been black and white from the start.

or he probably is just a plonker with too much time on his hands and an expert at everything.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe your last post answered some of the questions.

The key is communication or probably more importantly is managing expectations.

Regardless of hat has been spec'ed by the company, I always discuss what they want to see at the end. and then let them know clearly what you will do to achieve their expectations.

afterwards, there is usually no comeback. as it has been black and white from the start.

or he probably is just a plonker with too much time on his hands and an expert at everything.[/QUOTE]

MMMM......:001_rolleyes:

I dont think it looks TOO bad had that been the spec, at least the shape is uniform. You probably had a few options there.

If all the instructions you had were "cut it back as hard as you can". Then that would have been some kind of awful pollard. Its up to you to educate your clients as to the arboricultural options.

If it were me (hindisight I know) I think a crown lift and thin plus your work on the neighbours side would have left a much more natural tree.

The quote would probably have been the same, less climbing, happier customer, probably back to work on the tree again in three-five years, happier tree.

I think you might end up with clumps of bushy growth around your pruning cuts. Which wont look good in years to come.

Dont get me wrong. I have done this to Beech trees also, but only when full crown reductions were on the job sheet. Not being employed anymore, I tend to try and sell a reduction by thinning out the larger/mishapen limbs altogether and encouraging good structural growth in the medium sized canopy. This way, aethetically you still have a tree, not a shrub. Its smaller, less sail and generally the passers by do not even realise the tree has been worked on. But the job is complete and the objective of reducing the canopy is achieved.

Just a bit of customer communication errors mate. Thats all.

You can see a nice natural? reduction shape to that tree but I suspect that would not have been enough for the customer, I think you did a nice job, I don't like reducing trees, especially Beech trees, it's always nice to leave as much inner growth as possible to protect the tree from sun scorch, I have done a lot worse.

P1060352.jpg.62260db5595d2350962500a31451add3.jpg

Edited by High Scale

hamadryad, I can see why some would say that's too much off, but the first picture was taken from a much closer position. The pictures make it look worse than it is.

IMO you're on the maximum, as you say, and which is what was asked for; and after 6 months it'll look good I reckon.

You know you should have done better to clarify what he really wanted - that's why you're annoyed with the job; but he'll love it by summertime.

Maybe keep the photos handy to show the next customer who says they want loads off. They can then get a good idea of what it will look like.