chimney down draft

Stephen Blair

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had this problem in the last house we lived in, I cut a hole through the wall behind my fire (a large dog grate) I put an air brick on the out side and a brass close-able vent on the inside, so when the fire was not lit I closed the vent.

Last week we had high pressure (thats what was causing all the very cold weather) I think that will have caused a lot of you problem mate.

Hi SWB,

Sorry mate, I missed this thread.

Firstly you say you had a fire put in, is that an open fire or a log burner, sounds like your talking about an open fire?

I've had this problem once before in a shooting lodge we converted.

I suspect you have three options.

Raise the fire basket or reduce the chamber opening size in height.

(stick a smoke pellet/bit of oily rag on a shovel and light it, hold it at the same height of your fire, as the smoke chokes you to death raise the shovel and you'll see it start going where its supposed to go, up the flue)

Extend the height of your chimney to produce more draw.

Install a 'spinner' on the top of the chimney.

I cant give you a definitive answer as its usually a case of elimination,

I'll talk to the guy we contract too (Ive already tried to call but cant get hold of him) and run it past him to try and narrow it down a bit.

I'll post again later today for yer.

Jelly.

Im Back,

just spoke to my man and he agrees it could be any one of the solutions I suggested.

He reckons the easiest way is to install a 'Ventura' chimney pot.

Its a pot within a pot that will throw any down draught straight back up and out. If this doesnt work and it may not if your chimney is surrounded by taller objects, trees, other chimneys etc then you'd best get in touch with HETAS who will recomend a fire installer in your area.

If you want FREE help and advice then send me some photos of the whole situation, the room, the chamber, the chimney, the pot and the house/bungalow and the surrounding area and all that is there.

Hope all that helps my little green friend:001_smile:

Jelly.

Just read through this post and you have all answered the questions that i was going to post, we have recently moved from an old 18th century farm house, we had a woodburner and never had any problems with back draft from the fire, since moving to a modern, ultra well insulated new build litiing the fire has become a nightmare as until the fire is roaring it has a breathing effect with smoke bellowing into the room every 30seconds or so. I will try opening the window until the fire is well lit and let you know if this sorts it.

Thanks for the info (even though it was meant for SWB):thumbup:

cheers jelly, its an open fire, raising the fire basket isnt an option, the wife wanted a fancy looking fire so its set the way it is in a big mould thing, i got up this morning and th harth is covered in ash so its been blowing down all night, not cool because this is the weather we get most of the time here in winter, wet and windy the frosty weather was perfect, we have no nieghbouring higher buildings or trees either. thanks a lot, so is your conclusion clueless's spinny thing?