Rigging hub

Rupe

Hmmm....I reckon (being a cynnical ol' git...)-" just some stuff connected to some other stuff? ":sneaky2:

Me too. I'm always synical of new stuff, that way you get genuine explanations of it (eventually) and then I end up using it all the time!

I gave chris and mark soem jip over the hitchclimber at first cos I couldn't get my head round it's purpose, other than it doing exactly the same as I could do without it, eventually I got used to it and use it a lot!

Anyway, hubs? I can see plenty of uses in my head but would like the low down on its official use?

Connecting multiple anchors? Yes I can see that. I've used a riggign plate for that in the past.

I'm thinking it would be for attaching slings mid line on a rigging line to create adjustable balances in the same way as you can do with a prussik attached to the line? Should be more reliable and versatile though?

Edited by Rupe

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Me too. I'm always synical of new stuff, that way you get genuine explanations of it (eventually) and they I end up using it all the time!

I gave chris and mark soem jip over the hitchclimber at first cos I couldn't get my head round it's purpose, other than it doing exactly the same as I could do without it, eventually I got used to it and use it a lot!

Anyway, hubs? I can see plenty of uses in my head but would like the low down on its official use?

Connecting multiple anchors? Yes I can see that. I've used a riggign plate for that in the past.

I'm thinking it would be for attaching slings mid line on a rigging line to create adjustable balances in the same way as you can do with a prussik attached to the line? Should be more reliable and versatile though?

I guess that's what the slight variation in the designs is all about.....but whats wrong with a "knuckle duster" ?:blushing:

Rupe

You are looking at a lowerable basal anchor for a SRT ascent line!

There is an adjustable sling around the bottom of the pine. The white/green rope has a Prusik loop on it (the black/green cord) which is girth hitched into one of the slots of the small Hub. Once the ascent line is set, a bite of rope is passed through the inner of the Hub and a karabiner is passed through the bite. The tail of the ascent line can then be tied off (e.g. two half hitches) and the Prusik is blocked so that it can not slip.

Should it be necessary to lower the climber during ascent, the small green Prusik acts as a backup to the friction device which has been created by the ascent line passing through the Hub and over the karabiner.

This application demonstrates three generic attachment options for Hubs:

1) stationary textile (e.g. the girth hitched Prusik cord);

2) running textile (e.g. the ascent line through the inner ring); and

3) connectors (e.g. the single oval karabiner)

There is a bit more info about Hubs on the manufacturer's website:

http://www.dmmindustrial.com/downloads/DMM-1804_Hubs_Info_Sheet_A.pdf

As you suggested Rupe, Hubs are anchors that can be configured in a number of ways in addition to using them as conventional rigging plates.

Chris

Great, I see it now, thanks chris! It wasn't clear if that was a the top of the tree or the bottom, now I see thanks.

If you have any pictures or diagrams of a rigging set up, I would like to see. As usual with your stuff there is more to it than I can grasp all at once, but I get there eventually!

Can I have one to try out on our next big beech take down next week? (weather permitting)

Great, I see it now, thanks chris! It wasn't clear if that was a the top of the tree or the bottom, now I see thanks.

If you have any pictures or diagrams of a rigging set up, I would like to see. As usual with your stuff there is more to it than I can grasp all at once, but I get there eventually!

Can I have one to try out on our next big beech take down next week? (weather permitting)

You could write a review for the 'talk...

I had a chance to use a large hub this summer. We had a vista prunning ( reduction for a view) job that was on a very steep and long slope about 40 meters long. We needed to be secured on the slope so we created a fixed highline for the crew to decend and cut on the slope and also to get to the trees.

DSCN0004.JPG.3b8a3d205aeef02876f16b23c4d5a498.JPG

The horizontal ropes are htp static lines. Each on is acting as a twin rope anchored to a porta wrap and tensioned with a 5 to1 mechanical advantage. Then backed up with seperate prusiked organized with a hitch climber.

IMG00051-20091020-0932.jpg.6802781e42a7d8d9bf98e86e425d568a.jpg

Edited by Tod K