Stihl HT101 running issues

PhillH

Hi all,

I have a HT101 pole saw with running issues, first of all it wasn’t easy to start and then it would struggle to rev up when cold, once warm it would bog down. So I have started with the basics, checked valve clearance, new plug, new air and fuel filter. It then started and was more responsive but now it does not want to start. My next thought was a carb clean and new gaskets. Any ideas anyone?

Thank you in advance.

Most likely carb issues, check the gauze strainer by pulling it out of the carb and inspecting with a magnifying glass. It is easy to think they are clean when in situ....learnt the hard way on that......or just swap it out!

Pump diaphragms can perforate so check that in a similar way.

Try starting it without the head on and see if it is OK like that, a tight cutting head or faulty oiler can cause bogging symptoms.

Other than that, these four stroke  units often lag on the throttle if the accelerator pump is worn. It is a bit difficult to change for the uninitiated but had this on one KM100 I worked on, very flat on the throttle response and fitting a new pump cured it!

Try the easy things first!

• Like 1

Most likely carb issues, check the gauze strainer by pulling it out of the carb and inspecting with a magnifying glass. It is easy to think they are clean when in situ....learnt the hard way on that......or just swap it out!
Pump diaphragms can perforate so check that in a similar way.
Try starting it without the head on and see if it is OK like that, a tight cutting head or faulty oiler can cause bogging symptoms.
Other than that, these four stroke  units often lag on the throttle if the accelerator pump is worn. It is a bit difficult to change for the uninitiated but had this on one KM100 I worked on, very flat on the throttle response and fitting a new pump cured it!
Try the easy things first!

Thanks Spud, I will order a carb kit from L&S and report back how I get on.

57 minutes ago, PhillH said:

Thanks Spud, I will order a carb kit from L&S and report back how I get on.

Rowena motors will be cheaper for carb kit, very prompt service as well.

• Like 2

Don’t run them on the red Stihl oil either. 

Hi Monkeybusiness, why do you say that? Have you had problems using it? What’s the issues you have had as that’s what I have been using so would be interested to know.

Thank you

Red Stihl is just a lower spec oil, HP Super is probably the best choice £££ to performance wise.

Another thumbs up for Rowena, excellent service which is typically one day from order to delivery. I do always try to bulk up my orders so they are worth processing but more difficult when ordering a single carb kit.

Red Stihl is just a lower spec oil, HP Super is probably the best choice £££ to performance wise.
Another thumbs up for Rowena, excellent service which is typically one day from order to delivery. I do always try to bulk up my orders so they are worth processing but more difficult when ordering a single carb kit.

Thanks again Spud, I called my dad and he uses Rock oil Groundsman. Have you had any dealings with it? I will call Rowena tomorrow. I am sure I will need a kit for something et else.