Help with 346xp

YT23

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

Used my chainsaw today for the first time cutting a small old dirty tree that was felled a few years ago, for my friend.

I spent a few mins looking for primer bulb then realised it dont have one, by this time i pulled so many times i flooded engine ?‍♂️

Chainsaw has had a new bar, chain, sprocket and clutch fitted. This was all done by a local dealer. I opened it up, it looked very daunting to attempt a DIY.

Surprisingly chain became dull very quickly to a point, where it was just merely making a groove in the wood. I have just tried to sharpen it just now, hopefully have done a alrigh job, after watching countless youtube videos and reading post on this forum. 

Would just like to say a huge thank you to everyone for all the help and advice.

PHOTO-2020-08-03-20-37-45.jpg

IMG_5268.JPG

IMG_5267.JPG

IMG_5265.JPG

IMG_5266.JPG

Edited by YT23
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, YT23 said:

Hi All,

Used my chainsaw today for the first time cutting a small old dirty tree that was felled a few years ago, for my friend.

I spent a few mins looking for primer bulb then realised it dont have one, by this time i pulled so many times i flooded engine ?‍♂️

Chainsaw has had a new bar, chain, sprocket and clutch fitted. This was all done by a local dealer. I opened it up, it looked very daunting to attempt a DIY.

Surprisingly chain became dull very quickly to a point, where it was just merely making a groove in the wood. I have just tried to sharpen it just now, hopefully have done a alrigh job, after watching countless youtube videos and reading post on this forum. 

Would just like to say a huge thank you to everyone for all the help and advice.

PHOTO-2020-08-03-20-37-45.jpg

IMG_5268.JPG

IMG_5267.JPG

IMG_5265.JPG

IMG_5266.JPG

I would have said your plastics are from different model saws if you have no primer bulb . You have the top cover from a non primer bulb model with the orange clips as opposed to the grey clips but you have a silverside clutch cover from one that would normally have a primer bulb . You have a de comp button that would normally be on the 50cc version .  Also the latest type fuel and oil caps .  I think you have the starter cover from the older 45cc version  but that would not have a de comp button . All a bit odd ...Could it be a bit of a " bittsa " ? I wonder if you have an aftermarket pot and piston too ?  Oh and I am not surprised that the chain went dull if the wood was , as you describe , dirty . 

Edited by Stubby

1 minute ago, YT23 said:

Apologies I am confused. 

does that mean the the top cover is hiding the primer bulb as it’s got no hole for it?

the de comp button is on the side 

85FD7CEB-A694-4967-B447-18E5F9822405.jpeg

You could not fit a " non primer bulb " cover to a machine that does have a primer bulb . It would not fit .  Yes that is the decomp button you have circled . 

6 minutes ago, YT23 said:

So what does this mean?

if it has has the de comp valve it has to have a primer bulb?

No . There was a model that had an auto de comp ( a hose pipe connected were you have circled ) that went to the crank case . This was not popular and could be converted to a normal de comp ( as you have )  by removing the hose and crimping / blocking were it went into the crank case and fitting what you have . At the end of the day , if it runs and cuts and works for you I would not worry about it . I was just curious thatr all . I don't think it had a primer  on the auto decomp model ..

Edited by Stubby

Stubby is talking about a 357XP....it is his age and he gets excited....easily;)

The saw looks like a 45cc one with the 50cc Silverside side cover on it to me. The decomp valve is a bit strange as most 45cc ones that I have had in have had no decomp valve so it most probably has a 50cc top end on it.

If you take a pic of the top of the cylinder including the little plate near the plug hole, we can tell if it is OEM or not.

The bottom ends of the 45cc and 50cc machines are pretty much the same, the fuel tanks on the 50cc ones have provision for the primer return hose but a 45cc machine with a 50cc top end is a valid modification.

The muffler is a 45cc type as well as the parts Stubby mentioned.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, spudulike said:

Stubby is talking about a 357XP....it is his age and he gets excited....easily;)

The saw looks like a 45cc one with the 50cc Silverside side cover on it to me. The decomp valve is a bit strange as most 45cc ones that I have had in have had no decomp valve so it most probably has a 50cc top end on it.

If you take a pic of the top of the cylinder including the little plate near the plug hole, we can tell if it is OEM or not.

The bottom ends of the 45cc and 50cc machines are pretty much the same, the fuel tanks on the 50cc ones have provision for the primer return hose but a 45cc machine with a 50cc top end is a valid modification.

The muffler is a 45cc type as well as the parts Stubby mentioned.

Yea sorry about the 357 confusion . I keep doing that . As Steve says its an age thing ☺️  Another possibility is ....its not impossible to drill and tap for a decomp in the older 45cc pot as ther is a flat land cast into it were it would go but I can't see why anyone would as they are not that hard to pull over . Bit like the old 242XP .