Beech Sawlog

TFABW

3 minutes ago, TFABW said:

Thanks for the advice, transport is obviously a huge issue with sawlogs. Just hate to see something like this go for firewood. 

I use the local builders merchants trucks when need a favour.They tend to have 7.5 ton with hiabs and will lift a good weight. 

5 minutes ago, TFABW said:

Out of interest for future reference how much more qould be required to make up a lorry load?

It could be delivered locally, it's just finding a buyer!

I estimate from what you said that this log has an average diameter of 3ft.  In which case it is 140 cubic feet which is around 4 tons.  So you need another 5 or 6 logs about the same.  

This assumes of course you can get a full size timber lorry there.

I do agree it is a shame when logs like this get turned into firewood.  Sadly there are very few people who are willing or able to collect individual stems for a modest price.  Sometimes a local farmer will help with a tractor and trailer, but if they are going to do it as a one off job and charge say £200, as the log is worth maybe £280 it is barely viable.

10 minutes ago, topchippyles said:

I use the local builders merchants trucks when need a favour.They tend to have 7.5 ton with hiabs and will lift a good weight. 

That's a good idea worth remembering. What sort of monery do they charge? I'm guessing an independent merchants rather than one of the big chains.

14 minutes ago, Squaredy said:

I estimate from what you said that this log has an average diameter of 3ft.  In which case it is 140 cubic feet which is around 4 tons.  So you need another 5 or 6 logs about the same.  

This assumes of course you can get a full size timber lorry there.

I do agree it is a shame when logs like this get turned into firewood.  Sadly there are very few people who are willing or able to collect individual stems for a modest price.  Sometimes a local farmer will help with a tractor and trailer, but if they are going to do it as a one off job and charge say £200, as the log is worth maybe £280 it is barely viable.

Unfortunately a lot of good wood gets wasted, even cedar, elm and oak.

I am close with a local farmer who is very reasonable for moving stuff like this with what is obviously expensive machinery, but as you say even at £45 an hour unless the location is very close and unloading is pretty straight forward the cost quickly mounts. If some one in a surrounding village (east Kent) took it it would be viable and he would happily move it, but sawmills aren't that common these days.

9 minutes ago, TFABW said:

That's a good idea worth remembering. What sort of monery do they charge? I'm guessing an independent merchants rather than one of the big chains.

know all the lads where i am so normally £50 drink and they do it on an empty back run. Seen me even order a ton bag of sand before now which i never need just to get the hiab and wagon there.  Drops the sand and log at my yard but bosses never question the location as it was booked to drop off the sand ?

Edited by topchippyles
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, TFABW said:

Unfortunately a lot of good wood gets wasted, even cedar, elm and oak.

I am close with a local farmer who is very reasonable for moving stuff like this with what is obviously expensive machinery, but as you say even at £45 an hour unless the location is very close and unloading is pretty straight forward the cost quickly mounts. If some one in a surrounding village (east Kent) took it it would be viable and he would happily move it, but sawmills aren't that common these days.

That is why i have spend a few k setting up my mobile milling. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, topchippyles said:

That is why i have spend a few k setting up my mobile milling. 

Fantastic to do, and maybe I will one day. Just done a few little bits with an alaskan mini mill thus far. Some mantlepieces that went down very well and a couple of little bits for turners.

2 hours ago, topchippyles said:

Not sure what saws you have but maybe worth milling it up where it is. Decent money in beach when its dry

Husqvarna 365 special, I think that log is beyond it milling wise unless I perhaps split it first. Undercover storage is also in relatively short supply.

5 minutes ago, TFABW said:

Husqvarna 365 special, I think that log is beyond it milling wise unless I perhaps split it first. Undercover storage is also in relatively short supply.

70cc saw so she will handle a 24" bar and you have an alaskan mill yes ??