Stihl Kombi 131R

JoeW83

I was looking to get a Stihl FS 131R brushcutter as it was the most powerful loop handle available and realised it seems to be the same engine as the kombi KM131R, what do people think of the 131 kombi for use as a brushcutter as I already have most of the other tools it just gives me the option if anything breaks I could buy an attatchment instead of a complete new machine in the future.  I saw there is a normal line head as well as a blade version but I was thinking of changing the standard head for a Oregon Jet-fit anyway to allow some bigger line and could then also have a separate head for the blade.

Thanks

Consider a pro clearing saw such as the FS460 if you need a 'brushcutter' rather than a 'strimmer'. A world of difference in comfort and productivity.

I personally couldn't recommend anything with a 4-mix engine, such as the FS131. But yes, the combi tool version with a strimmer head would be pretty much identical to use as the strimmer version.

I also don't rate jet fit- to wasteful. We use a 4-way head with 2.7mm cord for heavier growth. Double the cords means in effect half the wear on each individual cord, and I prefer this to a 2-way head with thicker cord.

1 hour ago, doobin said:

Consider a pro clearing saw such as the FS460 if you need a 'brushcutter' rather than a 'strimmer'. A world of difference in comfort and productivity.

I personally couldn't recommend anything with a 4-mix engine, such as the FS131. But yes, the combi tool version with a strimmer head would be pretty much identical to use as the strimmer version.

I also don't rate jet fit- to wasteful. We use a 4-way head with 2.7mm cord for heavier growth. Double the cords means in effect half the wear on each individual cord, and I prefer this to a 2-way head with thicker cord.

Every now and again, I decide I need a Brushcutter, and then I return to Planet Sensible and realise that with three 4-mix Kombi power units in the shed, it's a pointless idea. I don't do enough clearing work to justify a dedicated machine. I wasn't the biggest fan of the 4-mix engines initially, the fact that they seem to run on fresh air, and with a bit of servicing, keep running, I've got no issues with them. 

4 hours ago, doobin said:

Thanks for the comments.

I did consider a brushcutter but most of the work I have is in tighter areas where the loop bars will work better and it is only for personal use although there will be a reasonable amount of work initially where I think the blades may be handy but then it will mostly just be reasonable guage cord.

I did use a 4-mix years ago and wasn't a fan as it didn't seem to rev so well but it seems that is the only option for the more powerful Kombi or loop strimmer/brushcutter.

11 hours ago, JoeW83 said:

Thanks for the comments.

I did consider a brushcutter but most of the work I have is in tighter areas where the loop bars will work better and it is only for personal use although there will be a reasonable amount of work initially where I think the blades may be handy but then it will mostly just be reasonable guage cord.

I did use a 4-mix years ago and wasn't a fan as it didn't seem to rev so well but it seems that is the only option for the more powerful Kombi or loop strimmer/brushcutter.

I think I may be bucking the trend here ( and my son certainly disagrees ) but I prefer loop handles for strimming, as rather than waltz round obstacles, you move your arms, which seems easier to me. Granted if you were let loose in a five acre paddock, with no obstacles, a bike handle machine might seem a better bet. You've reminded me that when I got my first 4-mix, I was convinced that it ran slower  than the 2-stroke, and thus didn't run lines as well as 2-strokes. I must have got used to that.  

10 hours ago, Peter 1955 said:

I think I may be bucking the trend here ( and my son certainly disagrees ) but I prefer loop handles for strimming, as rather than waltz round obstacles, you move your arms, which seems easier to me. Granted if you were let loose in a five acre paddock, with no obstacles, a bike handle machine might seem a better bet. You've reminded me that when I got my first 4-mix, I was convinced that it ran slower  than the 2-stroke, and thus didn't run lines as well as 2-strokes. I must have got used to that.  

I can't find a way to use cow horn bars without using my arms .

2 hours ago, Stubby said:

I can't find a way to use cow horn bars without using my arms .

So it's only me who puts one arm in my pocket, and the other between my teeth? I thought it seemed unnecessarily tricky. 

Let me elucidate, with cow horns, as far as I can see, you can only move the cutter head laterally. For backwards and forwards movement, you have to use your feet. With the loop handle, without moving your feet, you can cut round obstructions and sensitive items merely by using the movement of your arms laterally and backwards and forwards.  In my humble opinion, a much easier and more controlled process. Others may disagree, all I can say is it works for me.   

I understand what you are saying but , I don't seem to have that problem .  Maybe its to do with the harness .  There is a limited amount of back and forth I will grant you but if you have to too much going backwards then you are not being efficient . Works for me .

1 hour ago, Stubby said:

I understand what you are saying but , I don't seem to have that problem .  Maybe its to do with the harness .  There is a limited amount of back and forth I will grant you but if you have to too much going backwards then you are not being efficient . Works for me .

I rarely have a vast expanse of greenery without trees, gravestones, electric posts or buildings in front of me. Sadly, I can't often use the Genghis Khan approach to my cutting/clearance. ?

• Like 1