Milling Saws - Alternative makes..

Quickthorn

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

I managed to pick up a second hand 084 off ebay that came in at £400 delivered to Ireland that I was very happy with. It came with no bar but I already had one. I would recommend looking out for a secondhand big stihl or husky over buying a new smaller one.

Thanks,

H.

If i run the 48" bar with the alaskan i can just about get a 39" cut, maybe a bit more if i were to remove the felling dogs, which TBH is a little more than is commonly required. However, if i were to run a smaller saw, such as a 100cc saw, i wouldnt expect it to cope with more than a 36" bar, leading to a max cut of 27". This in itself isnt a problem, as thats a pretty common size log, but it means you are restricted, and the saw would be running at its limit all the time. I honestly thing you would be better getting the biggest set up you can from the outset to give you maximum flexibility.

Thanks for the replies. :thumbup:

I'm not running an Alaskan, it's a Logosol Timberjig. You only lose a few inches on bar length. The 390xp I can borrow has a 28" bar, so I'd expect a 25" cut from that.

The Logosol thing is clamped to the saw using the bar studs only, so the nose of the bar is free. In theory, I could cut stuff larger than 25", but the nose of the bar would be buried..not sure if that would be a problem or not..

Thanks for the replies. :thumbup:

I'm not running an Alaskan, it's a Logosol Timberjig. You only lose a few inches on bar length. The 390xp I can borrow has a 28" bar, so I'd expect a 25" cut from that.

The Logosol thing is clamped to the saw using the bar studs only, so the nose of the bar is free. In theory, I could cut stuff larger than 25", but the nose of the bar would be buried..not sure if that would be a problem or not..

I know the Logosol unit, and is a very nice bit of kit indeed. I would still recommend an 088 though. A 66 would run on that niceley, but once you start getting into really big timber- and i am sure that once you have the kit you will!- then the 66 will struggle a little bit, but then again i have just got a 390xp and it seems to have bottomless power, and 2 piston rings, so you could be well sorted.

The Logosol i saw had an 088 running a 25" bar cutting featheredge boarding, and was revving like hell.....

Actually, thinking about it, is there a limit on bar length given that one end of the bar is unsupported?:confused1: I reckon with a 48" bar you would find it bends too much on its side, so that in itself may rule out a 088..

Actually, thinking about it, is there a limit on bar length given that one end of the bar is unsupported?:confused1: I reckon with a 48" bar you would find it bends too much on its side, so that in itself may rule out a 088..

On the Timberjig, they say 25" is the limit. It gets less accurate with longer bars anyway and also on thinner boards. You get the thickness you want at the saw end, but they say +/- 2 mm on a 15cm (6") board at the far end, so I'd imagine a 48" bar would give you quite an error.

When you get to bigger dimensions, you have to buy more stuff for it. You can link two Timberjigs so that it works like an Alaskan, and that way you can use your 48" bar.

On the Timberjig, they say 25" is the limit. It gets less accurate with longer bars anyway and also on thinner boards. You get the thickness you want at the saw end, but they say +/- 2 mm on a 15cm (6") board at the far end, so I'd imagine a 48" bar would give you quite an error.

When you get to bigger dimensions, you have to buy more stuff for it. You can link two Timberjigs so that it works like an Alaskan, and that way you can use your 48" bar.

Why not just use an Alaskan then and not have the offset? +/-2mm is actually quite a lot and it sounds like hassle having to join to timberjigs togeher.