stein/kash helmets

RobKeyzor

Anyone out there had much dealings with these new style stein/kash mountain bike based helmets? I thought it was a good idea to move to this type of helmet because of the salesmans talk of better protection for side impact blows. Since all our chaps are climbers of some varying ability this seemed to me to be the more likely head impact that they might face rather than for instance, a log dropping from above. They are also much more comfortable and stable on the head than the petzel we currently use. However whilst on the ground one of the lads has had, albeit a small noggin, drop directly from above onto his helmeted head and squealed like a pig- I think it probably hurt. As these style helmets don't have a suspended cradle as such as is found on the petzel I can understand his tears. In the stein/kash helmets there is a mountain bike style polystyrene innner frame but which sits directly on the outer shell on the top of the helmet.

Has anyone more experience of these helmets that they would like to share to help me kit out the lads as best as possible.

As a side note from an employers point of view the petzel has a much greater service life than other helmets.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i had one of the older models when they first came out, i bought it from the APF show in 2008. Only to find 9 months later that it was only rated for top impact and the straps werent the right style. I bought one of the stein helmets you see flashing up on the right hand side of the page here and its very comfy, i understand about the suspended cradle in the petzl, but having never used one for a great length, i cant compare the two, in a safety point of view i could probaly see the petzl as a little better but its all swings and roundabouts.

People will comment on the clear/solid visor that the stein has, the problem i have with that visor is that when you get dirt on the helmet and you are closing and opening the visor, it ends up getting terribly scratched and marked. But there are mesh visors available, which i decided to buy, and never looked back. The mesh visor and earmuff combo are the same as the petzl i think, the only thing im missing off my helmet is the cover that sits on top of the visor to stop debris falling behind it from above.

Having taken a good doink on the head with a petzl i'm very pleased with the results, replaced it with a stein haven't had anything dropped on me yet though. Never actually thought of this when i went for the stein.

I think i will go back to the petzl went this ones time is up. The only plus is the stein actually grips my head, the petzl just flopped about. It's good but not any massive improvement on the vertex in my opion.

Ive got a stein, I like it BUT its sooooooooooo warm, I know for a fact ill be wearing something else come summer time, I sweat miles more in the Stein than any other helmet ive ever worn, Probably go back to a Petzl or even the trusty Husky ground helmet :thumbup1:

Imo the petzl would be a better buy for staff

I am using a kash helmet and wouldnt use anything else now, last helmet was a petzl vertex which couldnt get away with always felt like it was dropping of the back of my head, the ercin roc prior to this was great but unfortunatly mine went out of date.

not to sure though of how they conform for regulations regarding work on the ground and in the tree.

• 2 weeks later...

right im officialy bored to hell with my stein helmet.

yes it grips the head better than any other,

yes its the only hi viz helmet. (that i can find in uk )

BUT;

HOT

mesh is ill fitting and has big gap at top,

already the 'alloy mesh' is coming away.

prefitted reflective stickers peeled off.

with clear or smoked visor the peak scrapes past it and after a couple weeks is scratch to hell.

the tightening nuts for the viser need constant rescrewing.

kask / stein doesnt seem to be handing on information to its retailer;

i wanted the mesh and visor set up, asked about, bought the helmet and it apears that on the pelter muff set up you cant have both mesh and visor (its either /or) im guessing that you can use both on euro slot muff. but thats IS a guess.:confused1:

such a shame, so close yet so far...

shot of said attachment.

i do use a stein with the mesh visor, but i do not have the other visor attached because when it rains it just gets covered in water and when its a bit dirty you cant see anything and like said earlier, when its rubbing against the peak of the lid it gets scratched to hell and back