Monolith with Coronets

18 stoner

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Obviously due to the location it is expected to be a large talking point from visitors. Does anyone know of some real good info the customer could put on a board near to the monolith, explaing all the natural benifits of it?

Not sure my explaination could be translated well enough to put on a board, but they would like to show the public they are willing to promote this type of environment.

Any links or info would be appreciated.

No worries about liability risks as the client is happy to remove it on the grounds of safety if it becomes an issue.

The stem will be carefully monitored by myself on a regular basis.

Encouraging to see & hear of clients warming to the practice in general.

If this is a first, then I think you've achieved what you desired.

Height v target is always the key when retaining dead standing timber.

Certainly prudential to have someone keep a regular/annual eye on the condition.

(whoever does this, it must be recorded)

Claus Mattheck talks of the ultimate height of monoliths at 3/4 meters, this is wholey dependent on species & targets imo/e.

I would of left this one lower, ftr.

Like Sean has offered, a mix of coro's & fractures is what really gives any mono as naturalistic an aesthetic as we can hope to acheive.

In terms of data for interpretation, the following link has been used close to your neck of the woods & could be edited to fit in with the clients needs.

http://www.yorkshiredales.org.uk/section_news_detail.htm?id=5528&section=Homepage

It certainly will be a talking point.

Btw, could you please translate this for Darren as I believe he isn't biarblingual yet, and may struggle to get the gist of it :001_tongue:

Glad to see people in the real world, having the oportunity & the willingness to carry out Ecological minded Arb.

Many thanks for that David, thats the type of thing the client wanted to put up.

One of the objectives of this exercise is to raise the puplics awareness. Hopefully, due to the location it will create a lot of interest, and in time may become a more common practice.

Ive also taken on board the comments such as height, and perhaps some fracture pruning in the future in place of so many coronets.

As you guessed, it was our first attempt, so with some luck, we should get better!:blushing:

I shall now go onto the massive task as you requested, and translate all info to Darren! Well i'll try!:lol:

All I do know is that Pete deliberatley left big spikes ona tree then was complaining he was scared of impaling himself in the nether regions if his gaffs slipped out.

Thankfully no first aid was required in or around Pete's goooleys.