Is broom poisonous

Ninjastrike

Guest Gimlet

Yes it is. The whole plant contains quinolizidine alkaloids which can affect heart rhythm. Generally considered low to moderate toxicity but can be hazardous to pregnant women and people with heart conditions. 

Can induce colic and serious intestinal problems in horses and birth defects in sheep.

Knocking over the odd plant isn't going to do you much harm but if you've got a lot of it I'd wear a mask.

Edited by Gimlet

15 hours ago, Ninjastrike said:

Should I be wearing a mask while cutting broom? 

Folk have told me in the past its poisons so not sure if I should wear a mask or not. 

Thanks

Richard

Interesting question. 'Poisonous' is a bit dramatic. There is documented evidence of Broom being of low toxicity to grazing animals. That is, if it is ingested (swallowed). I can't find anything that suggests that it would be toxic if inhaled. Unlike gorse which can be dry and dusty when cut, Broom seems to remain green and wet when cut. I can't imagine throwing up so much particulate matter during cutting that its ingestion could give rise to any measurable toxicity.

If there was the slightest breeze I wouldn't even consider wearing a mask. Maybe if the terrain was particularly enclosed. Masks can be misleading, though, unless you are sucking every breath through an appropriate grade of material they may merely give a false sense of protection. I have always found hard physical work while wearing an effective mask pretty challenging, after all you are needing to draw in a lot of air and get a rid of the same amount of damp air.

• Like 1