Stihl fake chain

Mickeyluv

Is there a way to identify whether a Stihl branded chain is genuine or not? I've just bought a chain and the picture was of a box with the part number (3621 000 0072)  and dimensions printed on the box with a barcode label attached. However, the product I received is in a Stihl branded box but has no bar code and the dimensions panel is blank. There is nothing to identify the product other than a hand-written '20'.

This seems more typical of the Chinese 'Genuine Stihl' chains where the dimensions are not printed,  and it looks like I could have been the victim of a bait and switch scam. All the chains I've bought over the years from my farm shop have had all the information printed on the box and this is the first time I've bought online.

Most likely not fake, you buy a big reel of chain and the boxes supplied with the reel are blank as you can make lots of different sized chains from the same reel. Then once they make your chain they put it in one of the blank boxes and write on it what size it is. Your local farm shop won't be making the chains from a reel they will be coming in from Stihl pre made and boxed.

Edited by ChrisNewport

25 minutes ago, Steve Bullman said:

should have it on each tooth. If it hasn't its probably fake36700000056.jpg

The scenario I was fearing. Ah well.  ? Good job it's a spare for the electric saw. On a positive note, the branded Oregon one I got cuts very well. I'll be glad when more places reopen, it's a real pain  relying on Ebay for bits. 

9 minutes ago, Steve Bullman said:

I think a lot of the reputable dealers are still operating.

CHAINSAWBARS.CO.UK

Chainsawbars - Largest selection of chainsaw guide bars and chainsaw chain for Stihl, Husqvarna, Echo and Dolmar...

is a safe bet in future.

Thank you for that. I was more referring to the local dealers I deal with. The Farm Shops here ( although genuine Stihl agents ) are running low on stock, and the big dealer near me closed very early into the outbreak. Fortunately, the day after they put the cable to repair my Husqvarna Rider in the post. Yay. 

As steve says and posted, should have Stihl stamped on the cutter, and the photo steve put up may have some age about it, as for may be the last 3-4 yrs stihl chains have had some little dimples in the drive link to aid oil distribution round the bar, other chains just have plain flat drive links,

• Like 3