Tree climbing in Scotland

• 8 months later...

Bit late to this thread, but there are some reasonable trees round the back of Blackford hill, along the hermitage of braid. Along from agassiz rock. Copy this into Google maps to see where I mean. 55.920744,-3.193388 .

I asked a similar question not that long ago during lockdown because a council owned bit of land had some nice trees. I was advised to chuck on a hi-vis and crack on. Worst case scenario they tell you to get down and grow up? 😂

This obviously only works for public areas. As long as it's not over a busy footpath or kids playpark you will be fine

A friend and I got chucked out of Pollok Park in Glasgow for climbing trees. Council said it had been advised that if there were defects in the trees and we got hurt it would be liable. So rather than assess every tree it didn't allow any to be climbed.

So we went to Kings Park where there was no rangers.

The right to roam Acces Code says access rights extend to climbing, but I'm pretty sure it anticipates only rock climbing.

If you don't use spikes and you use a cambium saver for descents I don't really see the problem.

• Like 2