Certificate of Competence in Chainsaw and Related Operations Review Consultation

puwer

Just one point, and one that may be worth bearing in mind, if you dont have the necessary units, your insurance cover may be invalid in the event of a claim. This isnt a dig, but may well be worth checking the small print. Insurance companies will use any possible way out of paying up, if it comes to the crunch.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Before they even start they ask do you hold a chainsaw license answer no ok some insurers wont offer a policy here are the ones that do simple and after you buy insurance and then you get your tickets you dont save alot any way as experiance earns discounts.

I find it funny that you think you need a cert to get insurance who do you get your information from just look online and you will see.

My insurer even said we have more certified arborists having accidents than the ones with out the certification they act like a car insurance if you dont you have no accidents you premium goes down i pay abit more than some one with a cert but im fully covered as my PL states to provide gardening and tree felling maintanance although i have a height limit. :wave:

Before they even start they ask do you hold a chainsaw license answer no ok some insurers wont offer a policy here are the ones that do simple and after you buy insurance and then you get your tickets you dont save alot any way as experiance earns discounts.

I find it funny that you think you need a cert to get insurance who do you get your information from just look online and you will see.

My insurer even said we have more certified arborists having accidents than the ones with out the certification they act like a car insurance if you dont you have no accidents you premium goes down i pay abit more than some one with a cert but im fully covered as my PL states to provide gardening and tree felling maintanance although i have a height limit. :wave:

I didnt say you needed certificates to get cover, I did say check the small print to cover yourself, in case they have clauses to get out of paying.

Possibly are more cert arbs having accidents, than non-qualified, the dodgy non ticket holder just leg it and dont stay around to sort out the mess. Is yours the NFU policy, Telhol?

My insurer even said we have more certified arborists having accidents than the ones with out the certification

I find that hard to believe and from personal experience, i'd just say that the certified arborist are more honest, and open themselves upto investigation from the hse, because they have nothing to hide. Accidents happen, even to experienced climbers/companies.

Although i've worked with companies that have near perfect safety records, and take on the biggest most toughest jobs around. All staff all qaulified to nptc standard, and this does'nt mean they just passed an assesment.

My insurer even said we have more certified arborists having accidents than the ones with out the certification

I find that hard to believe and from personal experience, i'd just say that the certified arborist are more honest, and open themselves upto investigation from the hse, because they have nothing to hide. Accidents happen, even to experienced climbers/companies.

Although i've worked with companies that have near perfect safety records, and take on the biggest most toughest jobs around. All staff all qaulified to nptc standard, and this does'nt mean they just passed an assesment.

Well if you dont work with unqualified climbers how can you know that or are you just speculating. I work with both all day every day.

Its not the qualifications that makes a cowboy its the person.

Put it this way im a small outfit i just cant afford any accidents because its me that will feel the sting there fore i take my time and care compared to big companys who have people that are on a wage what ever happens.

I know there are alot of idiots i would not let use a choc ice and nptc should help get rid of them which is great but people like me who are good and competant but lack thousands of pounds to spare on courses that are not legally required.

I dont have a big company paying for me its all out of my wallet which is small right now lol. Therefore some people just take abit longer to get qualfied but that doesent make them any worse than a guy with a ticket. :wave:

Its in meters but works out a guess 65ft not tree heigh but im allowed to climb i found this adequate for me.

It is NOT a licence!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!just a pet hate.

I know of people that have been in the wood trade for donkeys years, many of them hold no formal qualification whatsoever, they wear minimal safety wear, cos they never did. Yet these people have never had a saw related accident, never felled a tree on a house, car whatever. They have carried out work on some of the largest trees in the country, for some of the wealthiest people in the country. They are thoroughly professional in the way they control the fall of a large tree, and I take my hat off to them. So Telhol, I dont think its fair to criticise you for the way you choose to work, I was just trying to point out that Insurance companies WILL use the small print in their favour. :icon14:

I know of people that have been in the wood trade for donkeys years, many of them hold no formal qualification whatsoever, they wear minimal safety wear, cos they never did. Yet these people have never had a saw related accident, never felled a tree on a house, car whatever. They have carried out work on some of the largest trees in the country, for some of the wealthiest people in the country. They are thoroughly professional in the way they control the fall of a large tree, and I take my hat off to them. So Telhol, I dont think its fair to criticise you for the way you choose to work, I was just trying to point out that Insurance companies WILL use the small print in their favour. :icon14:

Well i appreciate you seeing it through my eyes. I have only started for a short while on my own and havent had time to go through my nptc i will be this year as its about time. I just try to make a point that lot of tree quality is down to each person but i fully agree nptc's at least provide proof some one is at the very least competant.

I would never promote working unqualified just that alot of us dont run before we can walk and getting work to pay for my courses is my priority.

:cheers: