Some questions about Cobra Bracing??

Sambo

I love working with this stuff and have had some fun climbs whilst installing Cobra braces. I would love to really streamline my technique though to save time and look more pro!

1: What, In your opinions have you found is the best way of cutting through the stuff? Bearing in mind you're in the tree at the time!

2: What's the best way of storing and organising the cables ready for installing? Do you carry the bundle into the tree, cut off the approximate length of feed it up from the ground? What kind or containers do you store the Cobra components in?

3: How do you carry up the tools and bits/pieces needed for installing a Cobra brace? bags? tool belts? slings?

Any ideas and suggestions would be great! We're currently trying to work out the most efficient and slick method of handling Cobra Bracing :001_smile:

Edited by Sambo

I have the cobra in a rope bag. I use a utility knife to cut the cobra. All the kit I put in the pockets of the rope bag apart from the blow torch which I have on a caribeaner. I clip the rope bag to my harness. I Sometimes put the shock absorber and plastic insert in before I get up in the tree.

My top tip is make sure the utility knife has a sharp blade in when you are on the ground rather than finding out its blunt.

If we have any amount of braces to fit, we use two climbers, one to fit each end of the system.

That can save a lot of wriggling about between the braces when you have got the last one or two to do.

We put the small stuff in a bag and find that its best to leave the loose end of the cable hanging down, then pull up and cut what you need as you go.

A very sharp knife too. I put mine on a 2 foot length of string so it doesn't get dropped.

We also use one of those little chefs blow lamps with a spark built in, much better than faffinf about with a lighter in the wind.

i cut through the cobra with secatuars and use the m rig to tension the system up

We generally put cobra in a little slack to allow the tree to move and put on reactive growth. The cobra then acts to restrict any excessive movement in strong winds.

If you tension it do you still put the shock absorber in ?

Edited by Will Hinchliffe
Spelling

I usually take the whole kit up in a rope bag with pockets and a draw string closing top. cut it by taping the cobra tight and using a very sharp knife to cut the taped bit.

Two climbers is so much easier if it is multiple braces and we don't usually put the shockers in, it reduces the breaking strain by quite a surprising amount due to the sharp diameter change from the two ends of the shocker.

Two people really helps getting the tension too.

I measure mine with a rope come down and put the pads and aborbers in before cutting as you can lose quite a bit of length once they are all in, once its all matching what you have measured whip up the tree and install... cut mine with a hot knife and burn the ends to keep them together found those heat shrink wrap things they used to give you a waste of time.