The Cooking Thread

AHPP

1 hour ago, AHPP said:

Go on. Upset me. What does a Solero cost these days?

Djaknow what? It was brought to me! I was filling 3000 little pots with compost ready to receive a delivery of primulas, in a baking hot polytunnel with my shirt off, and my colleague, who was in the area anyway but not working, dropped by with an ice cream at just the right moment. Very successful day.

19 minutes ago, sime42 said:

I have just one question. Why? Why not cook the bacon?

Why cook the oyster, why cook the carrot?  Why cook the salmon...

If your chicken is kept like a pet and then impeccably slaughtered and gutted, you can eat it raw. Chicken sashimi is available in some of the fanciest restaurants in Japan.

Some things are worth eating raw, some aren't, and often the only line separating the two groups are based on nothing but society's whim, which can vary from place to place...

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, sime42 said:

I have just one question. Why? Why not cook the bacon?

Just fancied it. I nibble a bit of raw every time I cook. It tastes like prosciutto etc. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AHPP said:

Your colleague is a drug dealer I assume. They were multiple pounds last time I looked. I can’t remember the exact sum because I fainted. 

Between 2 and 3 euros for sure anyway, probably north of that in some locations.

I remember when a Calippo was 70 pence!

I am currently making udon noodle soup for the bambini with peas, cabbage, brocolli, prawns, and leek, with miso paste.

Later I will be making gnocchi with leek, mushroom, and tomato, and probably a pile of leaves, because chicks dig salad. 

3 hours ago, peds said:

Why cook the oyster, why cook the carrot?  Why cook the salmon...

If your chicken is kept like a pet and then impeccably slaughtered and gutted, you can eat it raw. Chicken sashimi is available in some of the fanciest restaurants in Japan.

Some things are worth eating raw, some aren't, and often the only line separating the two groups are based on nothing but society's whim, which can vary from place to place...

3 hours ago, AHPP said:

Just fancied it. I nibble a bit of raw every time I cook. It tastes like prosciutto etc. 

I get your points, but I was more thinking from the perspective of flavour rather than hygiene. The few times I've had raw fish, sushi/sashimi, I've been underwhelmed. It was ok, but I was thinking all the while, "I wish it had been cooked just a little, it doesn't taste of much". Similar with raw meat. Not at all impressed with raw oysters either, but cooked they were really rather good. For me the tastiest bit of a steak is around the outside where it's browned and caramelised. I must admit I've never tried raw bacon but I assumed it would be a similar deal. The comparison with prosciutto does make it sound slightly more tempting, but not enough.