Cutter trying to get into forest work, HELP!

kinojango

Hi All

Im new to this sight so bare with me. I've been a groundsman for two years now and i really enjoy it. I worked for a guy that had a small contract cutting trees down in a wood, and i absolutley loved it. So since then i've been trying to get into that kind of work only, but im really struggling to get into that side of it and find out where and who does it.

So in brief i would like to work in Forestry where i cut trees down all day.

Any help with this would be appreciated.

Travelling and working away not a problem.

I live on the border of Leicestershire and Northamptonshire.

Thanks, Lee

there is an employment forum mate, a mod could move this for you, the only logger i know on here is Logbarron, you wil find him in the members list. But this place gets thousands of views a day from a lot of contractors and employers, i would stick up any quals or tickets you have, make yourself look as inviting as possible, if you really mean you can travel, make sure you do, we see lads come on looking for work then never really chase it up and when employers look for lads no one seems to appear. Good luck and stick at it, there is always work in woods if you are willing to work hard enough for it.:001_smile:.

Near my mum is a 800 acre wood in the middle is a very large shed this is now empty but when my step father was younger there were about 2 dozen woodmen working in that wood and shed now the FC comes in with one man and a harvester.

I work on an estate and when i came here there where 4 woodmen now there is just me. The building and maintenance was about 20 men now just 3. Hard times:thumbdown:

I think there is work out there for chainsaw felling guys who are prepared to travel and stay away, but that is the problem these days, no-one wants to stay away. I have always said I would not work away from home but in the last year I've had about 7 weeks away in a caravan, and I am certain there will be more of it to come. Yes, its crap living in a caravan away from your family, but if the work is there to be done, DO IT. If you don't someone else will and good work is scarce these days.

Good luck Lee.