Towable petrol log splitters

Jonsey13

I have a Venom 22 ton and find it excellent. I have not found anything yet that it cannot split. We sometimes take it to site to split rings from large trunks, to make them easier to move.

Rock Machinery were honest about the 4 way splitter head when they said they could not yet provide a durable one. They threw in a free one, which soon started to tear itself at the weld. An experienced welding/fabricating friend had a look at it, repaired it and fitted a few shims where it was not fitting snugly over the 2 way head. It is now working well in 2 or 4 way mode and I recommend it highly.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, maybelateron said:

I have a Venom 22 ton and find it excellent. I have not found anything yet that it cannot split. We sometimes take it to site to split rings from large trunks, to make them easier to move.

Rock Machinery were honest about the 4 way splitter head when they said they could not yet provide a durable one. They threw in a free one, which soon started to tear itself at the weld. An experienced welding/fabricating friend had a look at it, repaired it and fitted a few shims where it was not fitting snugly over the 2 way head. It is now working well in 2 or 4 way mode and I recommend it highly.

Rock Machinery have stopped supplying the 4 way head with it, must be because of this issue, apart from this, everything else holding up well?

18 hours ago, Justme said:

If your planning on road towing this make sure you get the IVA certificate from the seller.

Lots are off road tow only.

The Rock machinery one is advertised as "fully towable on UK roads up to a maximum speed of 45mph."

Unlike the other similar china made splitters, it does have suspension

55 minutes ago, Jonsey13 said:

Rock Machinery have stopped supplying the 4 way head with it, must be because of this issue, apart from this, everything else holding up well?

Yes, everything else is coping well. Have now done about 60 hours with it, and still amazed at some of the nasty big gnarly bits it will split.

1 hour ago, scbk said:

The Rock machinery one is advertised as "fully towable on UK roads up to a maximum speed of 45mph."

Unlike the other similar china made splitters, it does have suspension

Thats interesting.

I need to go check to be sure but think they must be able to do more than that to gain an IVA.

Could be they think its under agri exemptions.

Just had a quick look & this seems to apply. But the speeds are 60 & 40 not 45.

I wonder if they have fitted 50mph max tyres?

tyre minimum speeds.PNG

Edited by Justme

The AMR splitter has an IVA and towable up to 60mph.

I looked at various other splitters and found a lot of them haven't which makes the "road towable " bit of them irrelevant . One maker I spoke to (unfortunately can't remember which one ) said something along the lines of  " most people don;t worry about the IVA , you'll be fine as long as you don't have an accident whilst towing it " !  Needless to say I crossed that one off the list  !

• Sad 1

21 hours ago, Woodsman1967 said:

The AMR splitter has an IVA and towable up to 60mph.

I looked at various other splitters and found a lot of them haven't which makes the "road towable " bit of them irrelevant . One maker I spoke to (unfortunately can't remember which one ) said something along the lines of  " most people don;t worry about the IVA , you'll be fine as long as you don't have an accident whilst towing it " !  Needless to say I crossed that one off the list  !

Shocking attitude from them.

Going to look further in to the road towing .

By any chance has anyone seen or used one of these ? 

HYUNDAIPOWEREQUIPMENT.CO.UK

The HYLS25000T is a horizontal log splitter from Hyundai providing 25 tonnes of splitting power. Ideal for consistent and accurate cutting and sizing of large volumes logs.

Edited Notice this one says off-road tow only , looks like the venom 22 it is then.

Edited by m1chaelw

i've got a Jansen FS-35 speed

WWW.JANSEN-VERSAND.COM

With its patented design, the Jansen FS-35Speed flywheel wood splitter constitutes a revolution in wood splitting. It would be virtually…

it's not road towable though but you could stick it on a trailer!!

3 second split cycle, it's very fast!!