Wor daughter bought our 4th "G" Wagen this morning

difflock

EDIT:

To say I now have/will have 2 "G" Wagens, for sale;

(i)A 1984 SWB, 300GD, poor bodywork, with rust in the usual places, BUT supremely sound chassis, and bodywork currently being soundly  repaired(to pass our rather strict Govt run NI MOT) and minimally painted(because I specifed a Piedbald Horse paint job to clearly identify the repaired areas) but SIMPLY Superb 617 engine, starts absolutly first kick, c/w 4 speed transmission and lovingly refurbished brakes with replacement Girling seal kits. A stained headlining though. I am only the 2nd owner btw.

I would need to check the miles, plus 100k, but def sub 200k, in an engine good for 500,000 to 1,000,000 miles.

A 35 year old, i.e. soon to be 40 year old, hence free of MOT's classic in the making

All parts are original except the front axle which was replaced by a genuine MB factory exchange unit.

I shall be retaining the Reg No. btw.

(ii) The LWB 300GD, that we bought as a daily driver for the Mrs. 12 to 15 years ago, I fettled the brakes, replacing components as necessary, replaced the wiper spindles(they leak), serviced the engine, 50% coolant etc etc.

Then I got the chance to buy the automatic Steyr Puch Van, so she was parked up.

As always the chassis is 100% but the bodywork does need attention, though it went through out MOT earlier this year.

I need to sort out the v recently(while I was in hosp with pancreatitis) black slime blocked tank mounted fuel filter, directly as a result of wor daughter "running on fumes, en-route to the fuel station no less!

A tedious dirty but straightforward job, which I intend to attend to next week.

However I had only about only 6 weeks ago lovingly re-set the tappets, and she was driving so much better, it appears this is indeed the critical "tune-up" for these 617 diesels.

Again all origional factory spec, incl the remains of the factory A/C so still with the extra groove on the pullies to drive the missing A/C Compressor.

Marcus

Edited by difflock

Meh, da petrol ones were, after all, designed with Iran as a major market, so fuel consumption was prob not high on the priority list.

A 460, re-engined with an OM 605, is a corking unbreakable/unburstable beast, that will survive armageddon better than a lot of other vehicles. And the chassis simply DOES NOT RUST.

The 461, being the successor to the 460 from 1990 onward,  is even better, with the decent Sprinter turbo-diesel engines available from the factory.

And there is simply nowt better off-road, in bog-standard factory trim.

Anyway, horses for courses.

I like them, even more important the wife likes them, and best of all wor Daughter LOVES them. 

Nuff said,

Cheers,

Marcus

• Like 1

4 hours ago, difflock said:

Meh, da petrol ones were, after all, designed with Iran as a major market, so fuel consumption was prob not high on the priority list.

A 460, re-engined with an OM 605, is a corking unbreakable/unburstable beast, that will survive armageddon better than a lot of other vehicles. And the chassis simply DOES NOT RUST.

The 461, being the successor to the 460 from 1990 onward,  is even better, with the decent Sprinter turbo-diesel engines available from the factory.

And there is simply nowt better off-road, in bog-standard factory trim.

Anyway, horses for courses.

I like them, even more important the wife likes them, and best of all wor Daughter LOVES them. 

Nuff said,

Cheers,

Marcus

it'll make the dowry all the more attractive.     PS. fired a 303 manys a time,  lovely rifle.

• Haha 1

• 7 months later...

Well, it only took 9 months(and I suppose the best thinks in life do  .  .  .) for my variation to be approved for the 303, paperwork is supposed to be printed/posted on Monday, should I be collecting it next week sometime.

P.S.

Younz living on the Mull o Kintyre better keep yer heids doon!

Cheers

marcus

• Like 1

Took the 303 to the range this morning;

Still "dead on" after 100 odd years.

first group was 3.75", prone unsupported, at 100m

2nd group kinda supported over an ammo tin, was 3" dead, both near enough "dead on" in respect of my aiming point.

And in so far as my decrepit eyesight was capable of aiming over open sights, with a MURDER-HEAVY military trigger forby.

Edit;

Just to say the Lee Enfield rifle is a lovely subjectively light naturally pointing thing, compared to me hazy memories of the SLR, which SLR I still loved mind you.

I need to do a whole lot of dry firing to get used to the  heavy trigger though.

And start re-loading.

IMG_20200725_132835179_HDR.jpg

Edited by difflock
  • Like 4

Being a tight, nay perhaps merely careful Co. Antrim bloke,

bred off well hungry Co. Cavan farming stock crossed with the ever thrifty Ulster Scots.

At 90p a pop, I am not for blattering off ammo pointlessly.

Cheers

Marcus

Edited by difflock