V.T.A images

Tony Croft aka hamadryad

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is this a Paul Muir spec Sean?

Have you got an after shot?

What part of Richmond is it, any idea on what risk zone it's in?

What happened to the arrisings?

Cheers

D

Not sure if it was a tree works spec or not. I think it was probably picked up by Rich Parks tree officer as part of the ongoing safety works. We been very busy with safety work this year as it is the first year wherewe have had a permanent tree officer in the park.

As you might be able to see from pic 3 there is a well used desire line passing right under the tree. Its at the back of Barn wood.....between sheen gate and the back of holly lodge. High volume of dog walkers.

Didnt have camera when the reduction was done but will take one on return to work. All arisings were stacked on site.

I agree, Ive seen that before and it can destroy forests if you dont sort it out quickly!!

I agree me and mozza can get our gnome bashing kit on and come and sort it out if you want, costs abit as it's a specialized job and only a few people in the world can do it.

I agree me and mozza can get our gnome bashing kit on and come and sort it out if you want, costs abit as it's a specialized job and only a few people in the world can do it.

Oh yes!!!

They'll be little fishing rods and daft hats flying everywhere, Just say the word!!! :001_cool:

LMAO, 100% likely!

How on earth, why? would you doubt it? do you REALLY want to charge for a DETAILED assesment of this defect?

:001_huh:

100% likely huh? Thats pretty certain - did you drill or fell the tree? Or did you use magic xray specs to substantiate your large font size laughter?

Why would I doubt it? Because I haven't confirmed it in line with VISUAL TREE ASSESSMENT. Duh.

You see, your thread title is "VTA images" when in fact what you are showing/asking for is "defect symptom images" that would lead to progression through the 2nd and 3rd stage of VTA.

Do you know what the third stage is...? I suppose your xray specs do that as well do they?

Finally, who said anything about charging the client?

ooOOOOoo Mr Picky:lol:

its o.k andy, i am getting used to this!

Tony, I have absolutley no idea who you are, but if you post that kind of comment your going to get a reply!

i take all you say on board, even if it is a little, mmmm whats the word im looking for? help here people?

with regards to these symptoms, if you wish to drill it by all means I will gladly take you to it, but if there is one thing I do know, it is that it will be you that is suprised, and not me! I dont need you to tell me the VTA "procedure" of that you can be certain!

X ray vision? i guess thats what you call insight, something you gain with time, and effort and a lot of darn hard graft, seeking these things out and studying the subject.

not that it requires a great deal of skill to see such a defect and its internal workings.

these forms dont happen without a reason, and I can assure you, there is only one reason these ribs exist, wether you believe in my capacity or not, I really couldnt care less, all i know is that I started this thread so that many of us interested in these defects may share and show eachother those we come across on our day to day business.

its supposed to be fun, and interesting, not exposing eachothers flaws or appaling ettiquete and rigid conformity to "procedure"

...but if there is one thing I do know, it is that it will be you that is suprised, and not me! I dont need you to tell me the VTA "procedure" of that you can be certain!

X ray vision? i guess thats what you call insight, something you gain with time, and effort and a lot of darn hard graft, seeking these things out and studying the subject.

not that it requires a great deal of skill to see such a defect and its internal workings.

these forms dont happen without a reason, and I can assure you, there is only one reason these ribs exist, wether you believe in my capacity or not, I really couldnt care less, all i know is that I started this thread so that many of us interested in these defects may share and show eachother those we come across on our day to day business.

Yep that's great.

However, it's all redundant without the remainder of the process (as you know?). We can all see the symptom of the defect. We can even be '100% certain' of the presence of a defect but thats not the important bit.

The important bit is calculating the strength of the remaining parts! Now I've met arb after arb who will gleefully show me a symptom, some even confirm a defect but very few bother working out the relevance before speccing up some works.

So you've probably got some cracks in your pine and your picture has perfectly illustrated the external symptom of the defect. But are the cracks serious or nothing to be fussed about?

I dunno and neither do you without an investigation - they're certainly not active at the moment. It may be that given a set of circumstances, wandering past spotting the symptoms and felling the tree might be the reasonable thing to do. Then again it might not be, hence my comments.

...its supposed to be fun, and interesting, not exposing eachothers flaws or appaling ettiquete and rigid conformity to "procedure"

Hey who's not having fun? New guys get a tough time in proportion to their presence. The force must be balanced and in the same font size without my arse falling off with laughter. :D

Yep that's great.

However, it's all redundant without the remainder of the process (as you know?). We can all see the symptom of the defect. We can even be '100% certain' of the presence of a defect but thats not the important bit.

The important bit is calculating the strength of the remaining parts! Now I've met arb after arb who will gleefully show me a symptom, some even confirm a defect but very few bother working out the relevance before speccing up some works.

So you've probably got some cracks in your pine and your picture has perfectly illustrated the external symptom of the defect. But are the cracks serious or nothing to be fussed about?

I dunno and neither do you without an investigation - they're certainly not active at the moment. It may be that given a set of circumstances, wandering past spotting the symptoms and felling the tree might be the reasonable thing to do. Then again it might not be, hence my comments.

Hey who's not having fun? New guys get a tough time in proportion to their presence. The force must be balanced and in the same font size without my arse falling off with laughter. :D

i do appreciate what your saying and like i said the photos do not do this tree and its ribs justice. if you saw this in the flesh as I did you too would have been facsinated by it, it is the best one of its kind ive ever seen. I promise you those cracks are active, yes I do know, maybe you dont, thats the difference between you and me, do not tell me what i know! you wasnt stood at the foot of this tree!

The crack is active, signified by the pointy ribs, and extremely rapid growth over them shown in new fresh smooth bark.when they start to "snub nose" THAT is when they are stable. Given a wind in the right direction and in resonance, these cracks could open right up and result in a failure, it is that simple.

I quote from "In the face of failure" by C. Mattheck P141-

"Cracks in the tree also cause extaordinarly large stresses before the tip of the crack. The nearer the tip of the crack is to the cambium, the thicker are the annual rings formed there and the wider are the light coloured increment strips. with pointy-nosed ribs the increment strips are extremley wide and the bark on the rib is thin. If the crack has already been closed by several annual rings, narrower annual rings will now be formed because of the smaller stress percieved by the cambium, the increment strip will be abscent and course bark will cover the rib"

The increment strip is obvious as are the extra thick annual rings at the point of stress, hence these cracks are active. sure a stress wave timer would be the next step, to confirm but it would merely be a formality in my view.

The tree has a little potential to over come the defect, but it is hindered by its extreme hieght and difficulty in getting resources to the area of stress. The tree has a very thin diameter for its hieght having pushed as fast as it can through the canopy of surounding broadleafs, close (within 30ft) of a road with around 20-50, probably more on a holiday, poeple passing daily. A footpath also passes by within 15 ft inside the wood perimeter.

if i was responsible for making the call on this one, in its position and due to its form i would fell it leaving a monolith for habitat. Why? because if i was called into investigate the failure of this tree after it killed somone I would have to tell the court that in my opinion, it had visible defects and hence it was an "avoidable event"