stopping your saw hitting the ground?

Stihlwatersrundeep

I am 43 so not a 20yr old with no common sense. (not that all 20yr olds have no common sense but you get my meaning)

would love to get into tree work but the way i have been advised is the same old story, a ticket is no good without experience and experience is no good without a ticket?? (devil and the deep blue sea come to mind)

just looking at a chainsaw and a tree will kill you.

I am a practical guy, built extensions, worked on farms with machinery etc...

I get the feeling that unless you are already experienced in tree work you are not in the club so to speak. people have to start somewhere. I have valued your advice but have come away feeling that this is some sort of exclusive club that no one is allowed to join unless you know what your are talking about. no time for newbies or people asking questions about which they know nothing about.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On the Insurance issue, its a worry, I have got the tickets that I can afford but you just can't get them all. Appart from the cost of the courses theres all the time off to consider, not easy when you're self employed.

I've not got the windblow ticket but as I only do them infrequently I do have dismantling as I do that a lot. I think windblow was designed for forestry workers who might have to deal with hundreds of big sitkas all on top of one another.

I dont have medium or large trees but I fell biggies all the time, does anyone else have these? what are you're oppinions on whether they're worth anything?

I think that the insurance companies look for proof of competance in the event of a claim, this could be an nptc ticket or years of experience. Afterall most serious accidents will assesed by a competent arborist so as long as you were working to best practise at the time they should pay out.

I am 43 so not a 20yr old with no common sense. (not that all 20yr olds have no common sense but you get my meaning)

would love to get into tree work but the way i have been advised is the same old story, a ticket is no good without experience and experience is no good without a ticket?? (devil and the deep blue sea come to mind)

I get the feeling that unless you are already experienced in tree work you are not in the club so to speak. people have to start somewhere. I have valued your advice but have come away feeling that this is some sort of exclusive club that no one is allowed to join unless you know what your are talking about. no time for newbies or people asking questions about which they know nothing about.

Looking at a tree can kill you hahaha that really made me laugh.

No there is snobbery with nptc some think they are better than thos with out it but they are not. But dont get me wrong some people are just idiots and nptc does filter thos out.

Get experiance work for a company must get taught then do your ticket when you have learned the basics.

Experiance is worth more than nptc when i was starting out and got good i got employed for my skill i was not qualified at first.

Tom your right as long as the site is as it should be cones etc all safty possible in place you should be fine its only if its prooved you was negligent.

Please don't feel this way,i think most of us on here either know some one or of some one,who has been killed or badly hurt doing tree work,and they are people with years of experience.

I knew a guy with 17 years in the job who was killed felling.

If i were you i would have a ring round your local firms and see if you can pay some one to give you a hand. :icon14:

Again there you go asuming im not qualified. Asuming im not insured im fully insured to carry out any and all aspects of tree felling inc unlimited height i said they did not ask for my nptc and i asked why and was told there not required simple.

Why do people always take things the wrong way?

I am not assuming "you" are not qualified at all!

When i write a sentence such as:

"You have purchased insurance, but if you haven't got tickets and something happens, without them you will have trouble claiming."

The "you" doesn't mean you personally it means you as in everyone who purchases insurance. I'm generalising.

Stop taking things so personally man. Chill out

Why do people always take things the wrong way?

I am not assuming "you" are not qualified at all!

When i write a sentence such as:

"You have purchased insurance, but if you haven't got tickets and something happens, without them you will have trouble claiming."

The "you" doesn't mean you personally it means you as in everyone who purchases insurance. I'm generalising.

Stop taking things so personally man. Chill out

Im not taking personal pec just thought that you was implying it so i just said no this is how it is.

Hey its a forum we all get it wrong.

:wave:

I did once fell a tree onto a knome but it got buried in the process result lol.

Looking at a tree can kill you hahaha that really made me laugh.

No there is snobbery with nptc some think they are better than thos with out it but they are not. But dont get me wrong some people are just idiots and nptc does filter thos out.

Get experiance work for a company must get taught then do your ticket when you have learned the basics.

Experiance is worth more than nptc when i was starting out and got good i got employed for my skill i was not qualified at first.

Tom your right as long as the site is as it should be cones etc all safty possible in place you should be fine its only if its prooved you was negligent.

I had no tickets to start with, I have gone out and got them because I can't get anywhere without.

Not because people tell me to do so, not because I think its snobbish. But just to cover my arse in the event something goes wrong and someone sues.

Last year I had three people try to sue us. All at the same time.

1. Cherry picker Passenger

2. Woman said her babys face was scatched passing where we were working and said we didn't have correct signage at correct distances or footpath closed sign, she obviously wasn't new to claiming.

3. Passenger in my landrover sued me for whiplash when someone else hit me up the rear!

Claim culture forces change, like it or not, if your not covered, beware.

Reading this thread I know what you mean, but once you get into arboriculture you realise that there is so much to learn. Problem is few people realise that, anyone thinks they can do it, this can be frustrating when you have spent so much time learning new things every day. After all very few people would attempt to fit their own gas boiler yet many will prune their own trees, the levels of knowledge required to be a good tree surgeon are way higher than a CORGI fitter.

I think some of us guys are a bit up tight on this issue. BUT DONT GIVE UP. I would take common sense and farm type experience over colledge learning any day. The best person has both ( like me ) He he.

Go get you're ticket, make the most of the training and ask lots of questions, a good instructor will tell you all sorts of stuff which relates to other courses. Just dont ask it all on day one.

Please don't feel this way,i think most of us on here either no some one or of some one,who has been killed or badly hurt doing tree work,and they are people with years of experience.

I knew a guy with 17 years in the job who was killed felling.

If i were you i would have a ring round your local firms and see if you can pay some one to give you a hand. :icon14:

Thanks skyhuck, but with all due respect I want to do the work myself, as you said someone who you knew had 17 yrs of experience, and he was still killed???

why can you work in the industry and i am being warned away?

I only went on this forum to get some advice and someone even said "whoooah woooah" stop there .

1. i'm not a horse and

2. I was only asking for some friendly advice....