pulley question

alex_m

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just buy an ART pulley as a seperate item, the steal plate one not that fancy aluminium one, its a quality bit of kit durable and will easily take a spliced eye.

Albiet expensive compared to a standard swing cheek pulley but worth it.

This is what i wrote in my other rope guide thread...

"...retrieval is impossible because of two reasons;

With a spliced eye, the climbing line will not go through the pulley then onto the retrieval line.

Without a spliced eye, the climbing line will go through the pulley, but will also go through the retrieval line."

That's the problem i face with the standard swing cheek pulleys i currently own.

edit: found this, thanks marc.

you're right it is expensive. I was hoping to spend around £15

http://www.proclimber.co.uk/catalogue/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=241

This is what i wrote in my other rope guide thread...

"...retrieval is impossible because of two reasons;

With a spliced eye, the climbing line will not go through the pulley then onto the retrieval line.

Without a spliced eye, the climbing line will go through the pulley, but will also go through the retrieval line."

That's the problem i face with the standard swing cheek pulleys i currently own.

edit: found this, thanks marc.

you're right it is expensive. I was hoping to spend around £15

Replacement Pulley For Rope Guide [PR0048] : Proclimber Professional Arborist Products Online, Supplies for the professional arborist

Only just saw your edit:

With the ART pulley you will easily be able to overcome your retrieval issue. If you can find a boat chandelry near you you will be able to find shackles and retrieval balls a plenty. If not then when i.m back in the UK i.d be happy to send you some shackles and balls for free i have lots.

Alternativly when i first toyed with making my own ropeguide i used a Petzl Fixe http://www.backcountrygear.com/climbing/Pulleys.cfm it was large enough for a splice eye just and small retrieval ball, but i think it may of been to tight to be reliable. How are you cinching the guide to the stem and adjusting it? Through a big ring with prussik adjuster?

Edited by Marc

Just buy an ART pulley as a seperate item, the steal plate one not that fancy aluminium one, its a quality bit of kit durable and will easily take a spliced eye.

Albiet expensive compared to a standard swing cheek pulley but worth it.

totally agree with marc

as an alternative this fits splices:thumbup:DMM Single Swing Cheek Pulley

but would rather use an art one as the swing cheeks will damage rope ect

Edited by Steve Bullman

You could just get a swing check pulley from Treeworker £13 / 15 . Its rated at 35 kn which is 10 kn more than the art one :biggrin:

25kn is excessive enough so a 10kn difference is not a factor to be concerned about your karabiners or another part in your system will just fail first is all!

Its more about suitability an ali swing cheek is not ideal in this situation sure it can work its cheap and easily replacable, but a fixed plate pulley like a steal ART or the billet (i assume its made from a solid block of ali?) coccon would be more suited to the task. A steel fixed plate ISC mini pulley would probably be best cheap alternative thinking about it?