Cs32

ctenicera

Hi,

I'm new here, not actually an arborist, but I use chainsaws professionally on a regular basis (I work in wildlife conservation) -hope that's OK on your forum! :001_smile:

I've not long passed my CS31 and am really keen to progress onto CS32. I've been told it's a lot harder than 31 as the trees are that much bigger, you have to be so much more accurate with your cuts. As much as I'd love to go for 32, I know that I struggled with 31 - trouble getting cuts level and hinges parallel - but I got there in the end.

Just wondering if I would 'stand a chance' with 32, or whether I should quit while I'm ahead, seeing as through I had such trouble with 31?

Or is it impossible to say!?

Thanks in advance

:001_smile:

Go for the 32 as theres a lot of new techniques. If your a bit worried about your cut accuracy on smaller trees get some practice in. Do work for free on jobs where theres a lot of felling. I did a few days free work for a forestry contractor just clear felling and thinning so you get loads of practice and get used to the way differing tress behave-or dont behave, which is even better paractice!!!!

yes there are bigger trees, but its still no harder then the 31, just remember to keep ur cuts level from the start and the rest will easily fall into place. i actually find bigger trees easier to deck than smaller ones!!!! a good instructor is a must, dont go 4 the nearest or cheapest one, ive travelled quite a bit to get my tickets, and im going even further 4 the rest! extra money spent in quality training will save u a fortune in the end. happy felling!!!!! :thumbup:

Thanks guys, I'm lucky enough to work on a site that requires a lot of felling - conifer plantation that we are removing and returning to broadleaf, so I will get plenty of practice at the small stuff.

John - interesting you say about bigger trees being easier than smaller ones, I've spoken to a couple of tree surgeons ages ago who said the same thing to me.

Better get saving some money now! :001_smile:

Cheers

Ctenicera, before you started out on your CS31, were you any good at working with small trees? Probably not!

Before any of us are good at something, we're bad at it.

Stop finding problems - they'll find you before long. If you're lucky, the useful problems will present themselves and you'll be wiser for the event. If you're unlucky, then at least you'll know that you are working at your own 'safe' level.

So unless you're happy knowing just that small bit of yourself, so-far discovered, my advice would be "Stop if'ing and get out there!"

Keep us posted.:wink:

Dee

32 medium fell is a bit harder double guide bar technique with pratice is quite easy. Boring though the gob and matching it level with the back cut takes a few goes. When i done mine i was with a few farmers that where a bit shocking but they passed. There is also the winch bit and use hi lift wedges.Go for it im sure you will be ok.

Edited by Tree cutter Stu
added bit peace out

If you're not long passed your CS31, I'd suggest getting a bit more experience under your belt before progressing - there's atill some reasonably good sized conifers in a wood before they reach big enough to be cs32 - especially if it's missed a thin. Best thing would be run a 13" bar for a few weeks and that'll get you practicing the right cuts on smaller stuff.

Might only be classed as "small" but they can still do some damage if they go wrong.

I don't fell anymore (least not much) as I drive a desk (not through choice i hasten to add!) but I never did bother with CS32 fwiw.

Edited by Chris Sheppard