Stihl 024 bar movement

owain038

It can't be that difficult......can it???
If the bar is 0.5mm thinner, are the stud threads long enough to tighten the cover down fully as both look a bit worn?
Chances of 3 covers and 2 sets of studs being worn out of spec..? I'd say that's fairly unlikely. Threads are visible through the hole in the cover so not like it's bottoming out

3 minutes ago, spudulike said:

It can't be that difficult......can it???

Seems like it. ...

I don't believe the bar thickness has anything to do with it.  If I take the bar off my 260 and just put the cover on the gap between clamping faces is approx 3 mm, just sliding it on.

Ditto the studs,  the stud collar is below the face of the bar.

Turn the cover through 180 degrees and see if it goes on.  If not why not? 

Seems like it. ...
I don't believe the bar thickness has anything to do with it.  If I take the bar off my 260 and just put the cover on the gap between clamping faces is approx 3 mm, just sliding it on.
Ditto the studs,  the stud collar is below the face of the bar.
Turn the cover through 180 degrees and see if it goes on.  If not why not? 
Unfortunately turning the cover fouls the bar before you can begin tightening down.

The bar clamping action is soooooooo basic, not much can go wrong!

The flange of the stud may catch on the inner cover around the stud hole but this has been investigated. The studs may not have enough thread on them to clamp but this is fine. Other fittings may catch the cover - been discussed. The cover may be too proud on its other features but if it was, cranking down the bar nuts would have an obvious effect but this has been discussed so.....how are you tightening the nuts? If they are really done up tight - 1' socket wrench and a bit of welly - how loose is the bar? Very, slightly??