wheres the date on my sequoia harness??

Stephen Blair

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But seat belt are subjected to MASSIVE forces in the event of a crash, far greater than and most harnesses will ever see.

Like I said, " I am with you on this one" Textiles must deteriorate after manufacture so a climbing harness, kept in a box, must deteriorate to some extent but not to such an extent that it's unsafe to use even if it's spent a couple of years in a box?:001_smile:

andy made a good point about all inspectors not singing from the same hymn sheet and i would put this down to 2 main reasons:

1 many loler inspectors are arguably not 100% compitant, they took the NPTC and thought GREAT im a loler inspector which is allot like a student pasing his cs 39 and thinking he's a tree surgeon!

2 some inspectors are led by romour/ become soo detatched from what its like to work on the ground that they are a tad "fail happy"

So what are your criteria for a "compliant" competent person?

I guess i'm old-school. 16 years ish of tree work, 5 years of LOLER inspecting - training however ONLY nptc- with an update recently.

So what are your criteria for a "compliant" competent person?

I guess i'm old-school. 16 years ish of tree work, 5 years of LOLER inspecting - training however ONLY nptc- with an update recently.

You will never be up to his standard Pete, he is, after all, EDUCATED.:001_tongue:

Edited by High Scale
Forgot comma.

what utter crap! i work with a number of arb equipment manufacturers & this sort of rumour really piss me off, i appologise for the opening 2 this reply but as it is quoting exactly what one of petzl top bods confirmed to me i find it most apropriate!

age of equipment is not of primary concern when carrying out a 'thorough examination of arboricultural equipment' it is at most a contributory factor

if any 1 out there wants a loler inspection doing by some1 not only compitent, who really does know what there on about but also knows what it's like to be an every day working tree surgeon feel welcome to give me a call on 07835 02 99 23 or follow my web address through the trade directory to loleruk 'the practical solution'

as you say what utter crap

so if age does not matter by petzl top bods why do they stipulate exact max replacement dates if it does not matter

i am not or ever have said that age is the primary concern but to make a statement that age does not matter and then go on to try to promote yourself as the only guy that knows what he is doing grates a little

i do not know what quals you have but i presume you have

in your exam would you of not asked date of equipment if not marked and if that had of been over 10 yrs would you of passed it even if in good condition

sorry could go on and on but thats enough for now:blushing:

On the seatbelt question.

Glass acts as a U.V. filter,wonder if soft top cars have their belts

checked more carefully.:001_huh:

The modern M.O.T. system would highlight such things.:001_smile:

On climbing kit, being able to identify man. date is crucial for re-call

purposes it would seem.:001_smile:I suppose that loler do have a database:001_smile:

as you say what utter crap

so if age does not matter by petzl top bods why do they stipulate exact max replacement dates if it does not matter

i am not or ever have said that age is the primary concern but to make a statement that age does not matter and then go on to try to promote yourself as the only guy that knows what he is doing grates a little

i do not know what quals you have but i presume you have

in your exam would you of not asked date of equipment if not marked and if that had of been over 10 yrs would you of passed it even if in good condition

sorry could go on and on but thats enough for now:blushing:

yes i would & both rich Almond & Liam stressed that a 10 yr old item may well be perfectly fit for purpouse, in fact in the practical section of the exam they provided us with a very old but fully functional karabiner, any student that failed it failed the exam!

what is PETZLS max replacement date then???? & how is it that u obtain the date that it began being used/exposed to sunlight then?many of my clients purchase replacement equipment long before it is required, i begin marking & inspecting it long before it is in circulation & it is stored in a locker between inspections un-exposed to sunlight, chemicals etc,etc.

i am NOT the ONLY person who knows what he is doing and have never claimed so. I, however, am not the loler inspector who was un-able to obtain an apropriate SWL for a 16mm double esterlon was i bob?????............

Edited by educated arborist
left bit out

yes i would & both rich Almond & Liam stressed that a 10 yr old item may well be perfectly fit for purpouse, in fact in the practical section of the exam they provided us with a very old but fully functional karabiner, any student that failed it failed the exam!

i am NOT the ONLY person who knows what he is doing and have never claimed so. I, however, am not the loler inspector who was un-able to obtain an apropriate SWL for a 16mm double esterlon was i bob?????............

is thats a dig:confused1:

no but you were the loler inspector that marked 4 different items with imo wrong info and i then had to re mark stuff as it happens

but was interested in how you had got to the swl you had given

but surely a crab is totally different

no body is perfect as there are grey areas