Bark stripped on willow slips

scbk

Gutted, just in the last week or so, something has been in stripping bark off a few of the willow slips that were planted over winter.

Is this work of the deer, or something else?

There's the odd roe deer in the area, didn't think they were frequent. Can live with the odd leaf being nibbled but not this vandalism!

DSCN2197x.jpg

DSCN2199x.jpg

Thanks, didn't know that. :icon14:

It's not like there isn't hundreds of other mature trees (or fenceposts) to rub against :ph34r:

Have strung up a length of barrier netting to try and keep them away from the willows for now

Not sure if the barrier fencing will work, infact might just become a hazard to the deer if they carry on fraying their antlers.

But the time for fraying could be almost over as most roe should be in hard antler shortly.

U might get a small amount of fraying in 4 to 8 weeks time when bucks marking territories for the rut (breeding season)

Often with territorial marking u often see a wee triangle off scrapped ground below the tree too.

In the past when u had more forest rangers controlling deer they would actually leave the large bucks near vulnerable young tree crops, as they will hold a larger area and keep many small bucks away. Small bucks cause far more damage as often more of them competing showing off against each other.

Modern deer management tends to be more about purely numbers so very few good mature bucks are left as a 'stand' buck

Deer tend to always fray on smaller trees rather than mature 1s andd tend to favour willow, some old school foresters would plant sacrificial willow purely fort the deer to fray/mark

Nic I've never heard of roe or fallow ring barking trees, but reds definitely will. Some will also bore score the trees too ( usually red, sola and occasionally fallow

• Like 1

My roe deer loved the aspen and spindle, haven't done so much damage to the willow. I had to send one of them a 150gr invitation to quit but generally I like seeing them around, especially now my woodland is better established.

That willow will probably survive, although I might be tempted to put rabbit spirals around it