going it alone???

simonm

ive been working as a tree surgeon 4 the last 10 years now and am thinking about setting up on my own in the leeds area...is it the wrong time to be setting up on my own in the middle of a recession? am just a bit worried that people wont be spending so much espech on tree work.

hi simon, i only started in sept on my own and i'm kicking myself for not doing it years ago.

the monies good, the hours better.

get it done, you'll love it

where do u get rid of all waste? theres loadz of farms round ere was thinking bout knocking on sum doors and seeing if i cud get permission to tip...also do u advertise in local paper etc?

get 75% of my work from three mags, all bi-monthly glossy things.

Retford Life

Gainsborough Life

Bawtry Today

brilliant,

when i started i did the lot, local rags, free papers etc, the three above, out did the rest by miles

the other 25% is word of mouth.

although i'd love to be 100% trees, i don't yet have the client base, so i also advertise gardening services, and charge £15-00 p/mh for the pleasure.

got 4 contracts now that even at this time of year give me £200 p/w

i'm also lucky with the groundie i've got. he's a good mechanic, welder, grafter etc.

tried the £30 a day men and they're a false economy, use them occasionally if theres any donkey work, dragging strimming etc, other than that, get a good helper, look after him n he'll appreciate it.

one other thing. spend one night/ rainy day on your paper work. you'll be surprised how quick it'll mount up

as for waste,

get out n ask.

i've got three free tips for the chip now.

local farmers are good,

also when you've got a load on, call in at any garden centers you pass,

theres one near me buys the odd load at £20-00 per load !!! ace.

gardening waste gets bagged up n taken to the local tip, or burned.

well im still very young,at 20, im self employed i have spent my saving on essetial equipment, such as chipper, pick up and climbing kit, but a also have kept in touch with people i used to work for so i have work to fall back on by subing of off them, as i dont have anywhere near enough work to keep my self going. as for helpers i have a mate who is a fair but older doing the same so when we need a team we come together, i wouldn't want it any other way, as you can do anything then.