TreetopAO

Dream of starting my own business achievable?

11 minutes ago, benedmonds said:

Fair enough....  I can't see working outside of your council would be an issue but I guess if your contract states you can't then you should discuss with employer.

Check out the seven principles of public life. 

Maybe our MP's need to have a look.

Thanks all for your feedback. My main concern is conflict of interest. My predecessor set up their own business and ran simultaneously, but in another district... This may be the only way around it. What type of consultancy? I'm yet to decide, from my AO role I'm involved in some fairly large and exciting projects ranging from heritage sites, to restoration of Manor houses, eco towns etc. Most likely 5837 surveys, residential then larger clients hopefully. Local opportunity? I'd fear my own tree company would be out of the question, way too many small teams and 2/3 large teams in a 10 mile radius. Really looking for the basics.... How do you set a company up?!

Really appreciate the responses.

Id say is the grass really greener? You sound like you like your job and projects with all the added benefits of being employed. 

Id say jump in both feet on your own or stick where you are