small front mount chipper on Mog 406

sierramog

Here are some pics of the adapter configuration, and you can see how far out the reverser would be. The new configuration will have the smaller spline off the block, so the reverser will be mounted off the winch tabs with some type of bracket.

Notice counter weight in the side profile.

ACUF

IMG_2525.jpg.806fafe41b473746a6ebb8229369df36.jpg

IMG_1938.jpg.0c322443bb114b81c510bea52efebbdf.jpg

IMG_1937.jpg.6ce5703995d2bfc5a0483876d10a8639.jpg

IMG_1936.jpg.5e8811b2080f38c2594dcf871558f96b.jpg

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep. That's what I said, but it wasn't clearly stated maybe. These were the initial pictures taken , and the original idea until talking with A.C. Price first, then Atkinson, where I got the replacement block w/ the smaller, more common stub shaft. I just have to do the swap, which will take some time I hear.

But, this will be much better indeed. I know the adapter is a fail safe, and will break upon overload, but I guess it will be ok to use an overrun coupler somewhere between the chipper and the reverser.

ACUF

Yep. That's what I said, but it wasn't clearly stated maybe. These were the initial pictures taken , and the original idea until talking with A.C. Price first, then Atkinson, where I got the replacement block w/ the smaller, more common stub shaft. I just have to do the swap, which will take some time I hear.

But, this will be much better indeed. I know the adapter is a fail safe, and will break upon overload, but I guess it will be ok to use an overrun coupler somewhere between the chipper and the reverser.

ACUF

sorry i never got that part :blushing: that makes sence to swap it

im sure youl can do it in an hour or so. theres 4 bolts on the block (to chassie) and another 4 on the drive shaft just undo it at the gearbox and pull the hole shaft out. do you need to split the UJ joint to get the new block on?

:001_smile:

oh safer to some form of overload protection

Edited by david
forgot about overload

That makes more sense that taking just the block off, and doing it while the cab is down. Thank you. No need to undo any joints. The flange bolts to the back side of the stub shaft as you said. If i can get to the gear box easier, then i will go for it that way, as bolting (first lining it up) the flanges are a pain while cab is down, through the fender or whatever.

i figured an overrun clutch would satisfy the shock potential shock load, or overrunning of the chipper.

Thank you,

ACUF

Thanks, I can hardly wait to use it the way I have imagined it. -With everything operating from that little tiny U900 footprint. I know I need new shocks before I get things completely good for service.

See this video of some speed testing and bouncing:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZL9oZyUMV8]YouTube - walking the mog.dv[/ame]

A kind member on another forum (benzworld) saw that new shocks are in order, as I figured the lift and counter weight off the back were to blame..

While we're talking chippers on U900, I suppose I should select a more firm shock absorber?

Also, Forgot to mention the rear 10klb hyd. winch that still needs installed off the rear somewhere, so overall weight of this, will push into around 12k lbs.

A couple more k and I will be required to have a CDL!!!

ACUF

Edited by ACUF

Thats a great little site mate, with the ease of use, clear and concise and very simple, packing a punch on all levels. That's my aim for the future development of our website, in time.. but i ask myself why I'm waiting now!

Been working on an outline for the overall interface / information for the customers, etc.

OK, back to U900 and chippers!

-By the way, why did you sell your setup. I recall it now, ..it was a beast of a setup. If I'm not mistaken, You were looking at running chippers of the front and rear, right?

ACUF