computer probs

Stephen Blair

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If its the fan on all the time rather than the hard drive then the heatsink on the cpu is probably full of dusty stuff.

They usually need opening up to clean it out properly.

If its the hard drive on all the time then it could be quite a few different things. Virus, background progs running, disk needs defragging etc.

If there is nothing on the laptop that you need to keep then a fresh install of windows really helps to get it back to speed. Although its best as a last resort if you can sort it out.

Sometimes you can re install the OS and keep all your docs. pics etc but I always er on the side of losing the lot.

If its the fan on all the time rather than the hard drive then the heatsink on the cpu is probably full of dusty stuff.

They usually need opening up to clean it out properly.

Sometimes you can re install the OS and keep all your docs. pics etc but I always er on the side of losing the lot.

You need to make a total backup of your settings on a seperate hard drive and then you can go into the bios screens and use the backup from the backup partition, then reload your settings from the external hard drive.:001_smile:

i periodically take my pc down to the workshop and blast the dust out with the compressor- just don't go to close to delicate bits. If the hardrive is getting hot it can seriously impair performance.

mine does this all the time a just de frag and clean my hard drive disc space go to your control panel and go in to proformance & maintance you'l figure the rest out from there. also bought myself an external fan base the laptop sits on top of it and three small fans blast it :thumbup:

Hi.

Computers are funny things alright I should know!!. There have been alot of windows updates recently and I believe this has slowed one of my computers down. If you have installed any programs recently it may be an idea to uninstall it and see if computer behaves better.

Are you are using the computer for alot of web based stuff..? If so I would consider changing your browser to Firefox, it's safer than internet explorer. Cheers Rob.

If you have something like 'fix it utilities' you can run that and it has an all in one feature that fixes registry files, defragments and everything else.

But a good defragment etc always good....

A friend of mine was telling me laptops are badly named as when they are on your lap (as has been previously said) they don't cool properly!!

I have to blow the dust out of the processor cooling fins every three months, must have a dusty house, but thats the first place to start.

Symptoms were same as yours with the fan running all the time and the comp doing weird things.

After you have done that do a disc clean

That normally fixes mine