First Aid

Woodsearcher

28 minutes ago, Jcarbor said:

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1546250341.585446.jpg before you start trying to stop your bleed with bandages or haemostatic agent try position elevation and pressure, indirect of direct, if the wound is on a limb which’s is often the case in arb injuries try one of these combat tourniquets, arrest the flow then apply your dressing and monitor the circulation to the end of the limb, release the pressure when needed.

Thankyou.

1 hour ago, westphalian said:

Could anyone hear a whistle where you are? 6 blasts is the distress call. I wonder how joe bloggs walking his dog would react to a flare? I would but I’m special emoji8.png

They would think it's kids playing with fireworks to be honest,  I mentioned orange smoke to aid location for a medevac after a phone call.

33 minutes ago, Woodsearcher said:

Prolly maybe but maybe not, should I take some burn cream just in case I drop the flare or burn my hands setting one off? Lol

I was being serious starting this thread but owe having a laugh is funny too.

Just take a spade and dig a hole then if the worst did happen they just need to kick dirt back.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Woodsearcher said:

Why would I be chainsawing in the dark ??

You don’t saw in the dark it’s still light at 3.30.pm or are you only going to cut first thing in the morning to allow The emergency services to find you during daylight

realisticaly why are you cutting this remote you can’t extract timber if it’s for logs try a decent handsaw you will be warm twice that’s good for the environment 

13 minutes ago, dumper said:

You don’t saw in the dark it’s still light at 3.30.pm or are you only going to cut first thing in the morning to allow The emergency services to find you during daylight

realisticaly why are you cutting this remote you can’t extract timber if it’s for logs try a decent handsaw you will be warm twice that’s good for the environment 

I live on a farm, yes I cut early morning mostly to keep the wood burner going for free.

I tried bowsaws but it was too much like hard work.

Edit : guessing my stove is not good for the environment but it's cleaner than coal.

Edited by Woodsearcher

17 hours ago, Woodsearcher said:

I bought a gauze one off Amazon it was like £10 for 10 by 14cm.

Edit no 8cm by 20cm just looked

If it's like the one that came in my "Climber's 1st Aid Kit" it will be next to useless for a serious bleed.

The real deal is Celox Z-Fold Gause. Celox is based on refined crab shell, it breaks down to glucose in the body and does not cause anurisms, unlike the mineral based ones Quik Clot. They are about 60£. Realistically, what can you do besides that, a tourniquet, Israeli bandages, etc? Full PPE including chainstopper jacket and gloves...flairs good idea. Whistle good idea. Consider a battery powered panic alarm as well. And a flashing strobe beacon. Stay hydrated, plenty of bottles of water and electrolyte powder. Practice extreme caution and work in a slow and methodical manner. Also get an eye cup and saline tubes - very important. Tweezers, gereral patch-up kit for small cuts, ankle, knee and wrist compression wraps for strains and sprains. Trauma shears for cutting through safety trousers. You might consider a "Man Down" app for your phone that automatically calls a number of the phone goes horizontal. And a periodic check-in system with another person. And know your GPS location and the coordinates where a chopper could land so you can advise EMS.

Edited by Haironyourchest
  • Like 2

what sort of saw work are you doing? tricky big windblown hung up trees etc would probably be best done with two people whereas already fallen stuff thats small would be a lot less risky.

id say a celox bandage and an israli would do along with your phone in your pocket.