Starting up in the industry

Tom Meadows

19 hours ago, The avantgardener said:

Hi Tom, 

I would get CS30/31 and a reliable saw first, this makes you employable. The theory/botanical stuff can be done by burying your head in books.

If you want to work in Arb the next step would be CS38, this would make you a viable grounds man, being able to cut and perform rescue.

A couple of one day LANTRA courses such as wood chipper, stump grinder and your looking like someone worth employing.

One thing to bear in mind though, all these tickets demonstrate that you are competent to use said equipment, but you are far from the finished article, this is when you start learning the job proper, experience cannot be rushed.

Do NOT work for free, you need paying but accept this may initially be less than you want.

Good luck 

Thankyou so much for ypur advise its greatly appreciated. The running theme throught everyones answer is the cs30/31 so thats where ill start.

Many thanks

Tom

Yeah Tom, most of what we do is wood-butchering, as per customers specifications. No degrees required, better to research and understand the physics of rope rigging, vectors, leverage, calculating the hight of trees and so on. There's an excellent book called The Fundamentals Of Basic Tree Work that will teach you more than most people who haven't read it will ever know. It's out of print but available as a PDF for about £16.00 Best money you'll ever spend... link below.

https://www.educatedclimber.com/beranek-fundamentals/

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
Yeah Tom, most of what we do is wood-butchering, as per customers specifications. No degrees required, better to research and understand the physics of rope rigging, vectors, leverage, calculating the hight of trees and so on. There's an excellent book called The Fundamentals Of Basic Tree Work that will teach you more than most people who haven't read it will ever know. It's out of print but available as a PDF for about £16.00 Best money you'll ever spend... link below.

https://www.educatedclimber.com/beranek-fundamentals/

I second this book!
I’m just starting out and downloaded it from Educated Climber for £17 really easily! It’s fantastic! Wish I had a hard copy!!
  • Like 1

On 23/11/2018 at 19:57, Haironyourchest said:

It's 17 quid dude! I promise you'll find something in there worth that.

Just purchased my copy and started bookmarking all the chapters on my lunch break ? 
Should make it a bit easier to navigate, from flicking through dead quick it looks like it will be a valuable read. 
image.thumb.png.d9a63fa4d467f87ea731f2f45abb5400.png

4 hours ago, Tom. said:

Just purchased my copy and started bookmarking all the chapters on my lunch break ? 
Should make it a bit easier to navigate, from flicking through dead quick it looks like it will be a valuable read. 
image.thumb.png.d9a63fa4d467f87ea731f2f45abb5400.png

Good man yourself, well worth it. Beraneck also produced a series of videos, they're pricy though.