Homeowner Slightly Larger Saw - Stihl 260 or ???

aesmith

Hi,
I've been using a Stihl 180 for a little while now, and I'm feeling the need (desire) for something a bit bigger.  I'd like to be able to handle an 18" or maybe longer bar.  
I'm really happy with the 180 that I bought second hand, it needed a few routine things fixed but that was straightforward enough and parts readily available.  So my first thought was another second hand Stihl.  I just missed an MS260 for sale locally which I think might have been just the job.

However I'm interested in opinions about which models are worth looking at.  There also seem to be more Husqvarnas around second hand in the area, but I'm not sure what models would be worth considering.

The other option would be cheap Chinese, I don't really like the idea but there's a Mitox dealer almost within walking distance. 

Would be cutting almost exclusively fallen wood

Thanks in advance, Tony S

Another one just popped up on ebay, looks tidy, and priced better too.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F253942318339

Cheers.  If I read it right the 026 has less power than MS260.   Also I'm thinking that model might be a little too old, if that's not the case and saws of than generation are still viable, maybe I should look at a 034 of which there seem to be a few around.

Suggested Husky models?   Sounds like a 346 might be equivalent, but it looks like some of their models have the same numbers but different letters, and are actually different.  For example it appears a "365 Special" and "365 X" are different with the X having a bigger engine.  So I'm a little lost with their models,  what should I be looking for in the 50 to 60cc range?

Thanks, Tony S

Husky models would be 346 and 550 for 50cc and 357 and 560 for 60cc. 

The 365 xtorq is a restricted 372 xtorq, so it has similar power to the old 65cc model despite being 70cc. Most other things follow the rule that the first number is the series of saw with 3 and 5 generally being the pro models and the following numbers are the engine size.

My first and only "owned" saw since 1997 is a 260, with a 16" bar, more to allow me to snick through smaller stuff at ground level, than because I needed the longer bar.

I nearly bought an 036, but my 60 year old back is so pleased I did not buy a heavier saw than needed.

And if I ever come across a tree greater than 30" in diameter, among my planted in peat-moss conifers, I will be so pleased I will gladly buy a bigger saw.

mth

• Like 1

Cheers.  If I read it right the 026 has less power than MS260.   Also I'm thinking that model might be a little too old, if that's not the case and saws of than generation are still viable, maybe I should look at a 034 of which there seem to be a few around.

Suggested Husky models?   Sounds like a 346 might be equivalent, but it looks like some of their models have the same numbers but different letters, and are actually different.  For example it appears a "365 Special" and "365 X" are different with the X having a bigger engine.  So I'm a little lost with their models,  what should I be looking for in the 50 to 60cc range?

Thanks, Tony S

026 is about 2cc’s less than the newer ms260 i think, but i feel personally that the 026 is better made. I’d go for the 036/ms360 over the 034/ms340. Weight is negligible but more power is the obvious. I have a very clean 026C running an 18” bar with .325 chain which a few people on here say is too big realistically for that size of saw, but it works just fine for me and has cut up some decent sized stuff. Whats your budget? And do you favour Stihl only, or are you open to other brands?

Cheers.  Open to other brand suggestions, but I must admit to a bias towards Stihl purely as I did well with the 180 and I think another Stihl would be more straightforward to get used to and maintain.   Can't argue with the following for Husky though, once I get my head around which model(s) might be worth a look.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Ratman said:

I’m a stihl man only, and by no stretch am i a pro, but have cut a fair amount of wood in my short time. But there are plenty of guys on here that could prompt you in the right direction of husqvarna options if you wanted.

I seem to be a Husky man . Has no one suggested a 560/562 ? DSCF0026.thumb.JPG.3d4c3238f718b52486abe4c71659973e.JPG

• Like 2