Might be doing cs32 soon

Stere

6 hours ago, ABA Northern division said:

Another key thing to remember is that 90% of deaths during felling operations occur within 9m of the base of the tree so you should be at least  10m away from the base of the tree as it starts to go over. & to  give a warning shout as it falls.

Thanks for putting this post on Arbtalk Stere, its opening discourse like this that will save lives.

David 07931670175 [email protected]

If u walked 10m away from every tree u felled u'd spend half ur day walking  rather than cutting.

Another thing from training that doesnae really translate into practical forestry aplications

Yes have a clear exit route and stand back from the tree as it falls watching it,

If u take the above example of 500 trees u;d have walked about 10km extra just walked back and forward to the trees (500x 20m (10 away and 10 back))

• Like 2

I totally understand where you are coming from. In the uk this is not a requirement...but the accident stats speak for themselves. I attended a workshop in the Czech last week and Razman Campu associate professor in forestry from Romania brought it up.

I felled a big, and I mean big tree this week, I had five yellow plastic wedges in to hold it steady and two high lifts to "encourage it over" I had my winch team on the tractor. I communicated with them via the blue tooth (new to us as a team but we are loving it) and yes I had to walk away form the tree base a few more times and come back again than if I WAS JUST CUTTING IT AND SHOUTING "GO GO GO!!" but it worked, really well and felt right, 10m isn't all that far when you do it.

There's a major difference between felling a 50' conifer in Mrs miggins back garden and forestry.

Domestic arb, spend a morning or day taking a tree down.

In forestry you will be expected to knock down 50-100+ a day, snedded and cut to length.
You might take a couple of steps back.

• Like 3

Rough Hewn, thanks for that, you are right the difference between arb take downs and forestry felling are very important.

But the safety factors are the same 90% of deaths occur within 9 foot of the base of the tree. We can say, argggh I've been doing this for 20-30-40 yrs and im not dead, but are we (you & me really that stupid) I have a mom. a da, a wife & children, my son now works with us, and re productivity reduction. due to walking away from the danger zone, try it, if your a professional you'll find it doesn't affect your daily output.

1 hour ago, Rough Hewn said:

There's a major difference between felling a 50' conifer in Mrs miggins back garden and forestry.

Domestic arb, spend a morning or day taking a tree down.

In forestry you will be expected to knock down 50-100+ a day, snedded and cut to length.
You might take a couple of steps back.

2 or 3 steps is enough but by the time you get to 4 steps you will be all most be behind your next tree to fell so no problem, if i had to walk 10 steps away from every tree i would be 

f - - - - d by dinner time , when we where felling infected larch the tree that i had just cut had not yet hit the ground and i was half way through doing the gob cut on next tree if i had to take ten steps away then 6 back how much would that cost me every day ? i would be doing less than half of a normal day,

Rough Hewn, thanks for that, you are right the difference between arb take downs and forestry felling are very important.
But the safety factors are the same 90% of deaths occur within 9 foot of the base of the tree. We can say, argggh I've been doing this for 20-30-40 yrs and im not dead, but are we (you & me really that stupid) I have a mom. a da, a wife & children, my son now works with us, and re productivity reduction. due to walking away from the danger zone, try it, if your a professional you'll find it doesn't affect your daily output.

I totally agree in principle, the problem is reality.
You get paid literally pennies per tree.

I know, we'll never be millionaires :) 

But... how much money do you need? I need to pay my mortgage, my utility bills, my household bills and everything after that is spends. TBH I don't have a lot of spends but I do cover the rest and I really enjoy my job&my life.

I get up early (I like to)I work hard all day & honestly  this 10m thing will not make that much difference to your output when you get used to it, but it might make the difference if something unsforeen happens ands you don't go home at the end of that day.

just to say it again 90% of deaths within 9 meters of the base of the tree, why not be 10m away? From now on I am always going to be.

5 minutes ago, ABA Northern division said:

I know, we'll never be millionaires :) 

But... how much money do you need? I need to pay my mortgage, my utility bills, my household bills and everything after that is spends. TBH I don't have a lot of spends but I do cover the rest and I really enjoy my job&my life.

I get up early (I like to)I work hard all day & honestly  this 10m thing will not make that much difference to your output when you get used to it, but it might make the difference if something unsforeen happens ands you don't go home at the end of that day.

just to say it again 90% of deaths within 9 meters of the base of the tree, why not be 10m away? From now on I am always going to be.

Where have you got this 90% of deaths are within 9 metres  of the tree from please? Is this info Commercial Forestry based, Arb or both? Is this info from the UK as I thought FISA had ended all injuries in UK Forestry?

From Razman Capu the associate professor of Forestry in Transylvania .

just to bring that into perspective if you visit the hse web page for forestry related accidents you will see that 15,000 workers suffer from a work related illness & 27 fatalities, that is 27 people who didn't go home to their wives, children, mothers

I was going to same the exact same as others on here, seen me cutting smaller stuff for skylines and u could almost be finished the 2nd tree and even on the the 3rd if it was clinging on the way smaller SS/NS can do when not got the wieght u top.

Treating every tree the same is just a nonsense anyway, with a normal fell there is absolutely no need to be more than a few steps away, but its when u know ur working with a dodgyier tree u should make the effort to be further away.

To be honest 1/2 the problem is modern training, in the past u weren't allowed to do ur 32 untill u had ur 31 for 2 years to get experience, which is a good thing. letting some numpty whos never lifted a saw before go straight from nothing to 32 in a few weeks is just asking for trouble n the real world.

10m might not be far on a flat car park but in a forestry environment it can seem a long way if ur up/down across a step banking (and good chance it could be otherwise the harvester would of got them)

I'd actually say walking 10m away for every tree could actually be more dangerous as by end of day u'll be too knackered to run if needed, and i know its often the last tree of the day i f**k up which is when u ant some spring in ur legs.

I'd also be very interested in where these stats came from?? If not uk based are they even relevant?

Do yhey have the same HSE or ppe or cutting a similar type of timber

Ljke avant said i thought Fisa had cured everything!!

The jobs hard enough  without adding 20m to every tree

I bet there not 15 000 forestry workers in the uk never mnd get injured every year

Edited by drinksloe
  • Like 2