Tree identification

ac99

Question

1 hour ago, ac99 said:

Elms (and also Willows so I'm told) suck up a lot of water from surrounding ground which can cause shrinkage to the ground around which is where the issues come from a foundation perspective.

I love the tree, its great, well established & mature, I don't want rid of it. I'm just hoping its not an elm because the engineer seems to think we need foundations over 6ft deep because of it!

The ‘water demand’ category is very simplistic and only came about because insurers and builders wanted to classify things. The categories were based on subsidence events, the probable trees involved and distances from affected properties. (The Kew Root Survey). Even the writers acknowledge the problems of how data was collected and recorded and how it was then used afterwards, but it’s the best that we’ve got.

Has your engineer got the results of a soil test to input into his calculations or is he just working on the probability that the soils are of low, moderate or high shrink/swell potential cos they generally are in your area? That would also influence foundation depth where trees are retained or are going to be removed.

Edited by Gary Prentice
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, arboriculturist said:

Under the Town and Planning Act Local Authorities have a duty to protect trees in relation to development.

You are required to have a BS5837 tree survey before any operations on site commence - has this been carried out?

First time I've heard of that - I'll have a read up, thanks for the tip. Planning permission has been granted, the old lean to extension demolished but no ground works yet. The tree is 12m ish from the property which seems a long way to me.

It's a turkish hazel. Whter demand is based on mature height. Yours looks close to maxed out. Engineer advice based on Elm is in appropriate.

Besides, if it's a street tree, water demand resulting in subsidence would be a legal nuisance, which could be grounds for abatement. It would be a very extreme view for consent to be refused based on the argument that approval would result in the need to remove the nuisance i.e. the tree.

4 hours ago, arboriculturist said:

Under the Town and Planning Act Local Authorities have a duty to protect trees in relation to development.

You are required to have a BS5837 tree survey before any operations on site commence - has this been carried out?

Not quite true, Council has a duty to ensure, whenever it is appropriate, that provision is made for the preservation of trees. It needs to be appropriate. Only then do they have  a duty. If so, the Coucil may require a BS5837 survey, AIA and tree protection plan. If they don't ask for one, you don't need to provide it.

• Like 1

On 04/09/2018 at 21:52, daltontrees said:

Not quite true, Council has a duty to ensure, whenever it is appropriate, that provision is made for the preservation of trees. It needs to be appropriate. Only then do they have  a duty. If so, the Coucil may require a BS5837 survey, AIA and tree protection plan. If they don't ask for one, you don't need to provide it.

On 04/09/2018 at 21:52, daltontrees said:

Yes true as you say.

Under the Town and Planning Act Local Authorities have a duty to protect trees in relation to development. That is the 1st thing that should be on their mind when they roll up on site - i'll try and preserve as many trees as is humanly possible on this site. Not - "Ah I was informed that there is an overiding need for development on this site, so its appropriate to preserve 1 or 2 good ones".

The planet needs all the vegetation possible, especially in the urban environment where air quality is often poor. There has never ever been a more desperate need for trees given that fact that 'millions' of tonnes of UK forests and woodlands are now  being harvested to fuel the often inefficient biomass power stations they are commissioning at an alarming rate.

This planet's ecosystem needs the trees - it doesn't need the people and development. 

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, arboriculturist said:

Yes true as you say.

Under the Town and Planning Act Local Authorities have a duty to protect trees in relation to development. That is the 1st thing that should be on their mind when they roll up on site - i'll try and preserve as many trees as is humanly possible on this site. Not - "Ah I was informed that there is an overiding need for development on this site, so its appropriate to preserve 1 or 2 good ones".

The planet needs all the vegetation possible, especially in the urban environment where air quality is often poor. There has never ever been a more desperate need for trees given that fact that 'millions' of tonnes of UK forests and woodlands are now  being harvested to fuel the often inefficient biomass power stations they are commissioning at an alarming rate.

This planet's ecosystem needs the trees - it doesn't need the people and development. 

I agree about the needs of the planet, humans are just deluding and humouring themselves until it is too late. The point is though that Cuncil can only do what they are a loowed to do or have to do under legislation. They don't have to make morality decisions about trees. It's not about overriding need for development and it's not about saving as many as humanly possible. It's about presumption in favour of development against public amenity needs.  It's a poor system, but tit's the one we have. The deluding and humouring humans that need ot be persuaded are politicians.

Quite!