MS260 back from the repair shop... not working

Hank

Hi everyone. This is probably going to be an essay of a post so I hope someone reads and can help!! 

The left bolt that holds the chain brake handle to the body of my MS260 sheared off. Being a smart arse I thought I could drill it out or use a helicoil and stick a new bolt in, neither of which worked so I thought f*** it and bought a used casing for £20 from eBay. In the end I actually couldn't split the cases to swap them over so I took it to a local repair shop and explained what I needed them to do. 

In the process they told me it needed new piston rings and bearing to which I said ok as it was only fifteen quid or so.

Well I got it back today (after three weeks rather than the five days they told me it would be!!!), got it all back together with a nice new flywheel and... the flywheel doesn't turn. The brake is off and the cord is rewinding ok so the question is, am I being a dunce or has the repair place f***ed up? 

I would prefer not to go back there as I already had a heated conversation about how long it took and the fact they added £70 more to the invoice than they quoted without informing me beforehand. Rubbish service.

Any help/thoughts appreciated.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, el barto said:

got it all back together with a nice new flywheel and... the flywheel doesn't turn. The brake is off and the cord is rewinding ok

Can you explain that scenario a bit more please.  Doesn't really make sense.  Are you saying you can pull the start cord but the engine doesn't turn?   And why did it need a new flywheel?  I take they're not a Stihl main dealer, fitting a fifteen quid piston and rings?

2 minutes ago, lurkalot said:

Can you explain that scenario a bit more please.  Doesn't really make sense.  Are you saying you can pull the start cord but the engine doesn't turn?   And why did it need a new flywheel?  I take they're not a Stihl main dealer, fitting a fifteen quid piston and rings?

No I'm saying I can't pull the start cord. It's like the piston is locked. By hand you can turn it clockwise and anti-clockwise before it clunks to a stop. 

And it wasn't a whole new piston! They fitted piston rings. It needed a new flywheel because the old one got damaged in a move while all this was happening.

Sounds like the little ‘actuator’ the thing that opens out to engage the dogs and turn the engine is jammed open.

Anyway take it back or take it somewhere else. You don’t seem to have sufficient mechanical know how to sort it yourself even with the help of peeps on here.

No offence meant, just seems the most sensible solution.

OK, that makes things a little clearer.   Though in your first post you stated it needed a new piston and rings and you gave them the go ahead to do it.  ;)

So you've made sure the flywheel isn't hitting the ignition coil, and the air gap is set?   If this isn't the problem I'd sling it straight back to the guys who rebuilt it for you.

5 minutes ago, lurkalot said:

OK, that makes things a little clearer.   Though in your first post you stated it needed a new piston and rings and you gave them the go ahead to do it.  ;)

So you've made sure the flywheel isn't hitting the ignition coil, and the air gap is set?   If this isn't the problem I'd sling it straight back to the guys who rebuilt it for you.

No sir read it again, it says "they told me it needed new piston rings".

And Mick you're probably right, no offence taken but I'd like to figure it out all the same. Gotta learn somehow.

Edited by el barto
  • Like 1