what do you use to connect your pull belt?

cerneARB

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

To all those interested in this thread.

The advice given in respect of the karabiner was:

To be wary of the Mongoose style 3 way (we have had reports of the gate sticking)

You can say that again!! Today one of my mongoose 3 way krabs stuck closed. Luckily it was just on my saw strop and not on my lifeline.

Admittedly I haven't climbed on it (therefore looked after it and lubricated it) for a while, but I was shocked at how difficult it was to undo. Took me about 5 minutes working at it on the ground with a bit of chain oil to help loosen it.

Has this happened to anyone else?

I guess I can't really blame the manufacturer as I haven't maintained it properly but it was certainly an eye opener on how important it is to look after your krabs.

Only keep mine in service as ppe for about a year, and they always live in a kit bag or rope bag, and get dried and cleaned after working in the rain. I'v never had a 3 way biner jam up on me in the tree yet.

Not like the old days of ancient screwgates, where they would get so sticky that i used to leave the gate open on my lanyard biner all the time in the rain.

dont understand why these Micro grab's are so popular? they cost alot. theres nothing wrong with a 3 way krab and a distel on 8mm with a small pulley. you can replace the cord as often as you want and cut it when your in trouble. most new climber i have seen using these Micro grab have no soft link.

the question was asked erlier in the tread but i dont think it was answered, "is it now mandatory to have a soft link"

the simple answer is yes/no. no law says you must, but in the guide to good climbing practice, which is a document the HSE use in association with there AFAG guides states about the use of a 'soft' point on cut resistant strops.

this is fed from risk assessments and also the requirements of the working at heigh regulations to have an affective rescue plan in place.

the soft link is part of a risk management process to minimize suspension in a harness and thus the risk of HST.

what is a good exersize, if you have access to one is to get hold of a 10 stone dummy hang on a pole belt with grab and no soft point and try to resu them. damm good way to see the trainees grunt

if we plan for the worst and practice for disasters then nothing will surprise us.

by the way my soft link when i use cut resistant strops is a VT

arbcop