Wannabe Arborist

Delmonte

20 minutes ago, Delmonte said:

If in the U.K. its ok to give yourself the title arborist..with your level of experience couldn’t you do just that?

I could but i wouldnt.

I really dont think i have enough knowledge and experience to be comfortable with the title arborist.

Theres still lots of things that im unfamiliar with in this industry including the whole tree biology side of things.

• Like 1

You would get the hump if someone meddled in your business yet you think it's ok to contact another company and meddle in their business?

Dempsey's', "get stuffed" wouldn't have come into it.

I haven’t meddled in is business...if the website was in English i would post a link but its not...what he says is on the intro blurb is
“there are many firms in the region that carry out tree work, but they are not professional and that in 10 mins they can destroy 100 year old trees, most of them just own a tractor and a chipper and take odd tree work, my firm knows what its doing and we are the leading arborist in the region”
where in actually i suspect that seeing as he has (from what i can see) only been doing it for about 2 years....he is the firm that has bought himself a tractor and a chipper.
I sent him an email, said i liked his website, agreed with him that it doesn’t take long to kill old trees but that i think its a stretch to be calling your self leading arborists when there isn’t a certified arborist on staff.
It wasn’t my intention to go into the details in such depth when i started the post, it was more to find out how much pride people hold in the job title...arborist...but now some of your replies have made me feel like the asshole...I’m ok with that, I’m sure on many levels i am...but surely this level of putting down your competitors whilst essentially making false claims is bullshit website marketing. And the bad guy isn’t the one who questions it but the one claims it?

I suppose it drifts into the debate about those who want the trade to be completely regulated, with uncertified operators banned and professional bodies overseeing everything (never going to happen) and those who either don’t want that or don’t care.

Ps your written English is excellent (assuming you’re Norwegian)

Edited by Mick Dempsey
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Delmonte said:

I haven’t meddled in is business...if the website was in English i would post a link but its not...what he says is on the intro blurb is
“there are many firms in the region that carry out tree work, but they are not professional and that in 10 mins they can destroy 100 year old trees, most of them just own a tractor and a chipper and take odd tree work, my firm knows what its doing and we are the leading arborist in the region”
where in actually i suspect that seeing as he has (from what i can see) only been doing it for about 2 years....he is the firm that has bought himself a tractor and a chipper.
I sent him an email, said i liked his website, agreed with him that it doesn’t take long to kill old trees but that i think its a stretch to be calling your self leading arborists when there isn’t a certified arborist on staff.
It wasn’t my intention to go into the details in such depth when i started the post, it was more to find out how much pride people hold in the job title...arborist...but now some of your replies have made me feel like the asshole...I’m ok with that, I’m sure on many levels i am...but surely this level of putting down your competitors whilst essentially making false claims is bullshit website marketing. And the bad guy isn’t the one who questions it but the one claims it?

You have meddled in his business by contacting him and asking questions about something that's got nothing to do with you or the company you work for.

Your long winded nonsense doesn't wash with me. How about minding your own business and letting people get on with theirs.

The only reason I haven't told you what I really think is because you are new to Arbtalk.

I could but i wouldnt.
I really dont think i have enough knowledge and experience to be comfortable with the title arborist.
Theres still lots of things that im unfamiliar with in this industry including the whole tree biology side of things.

Thats where ive been for many years before finally taking the course and passing the exam...still loads to learn but i think the day you stop learning is the day your on the way to extinction...so is it wrong to be irked by such claims in this situation in your opinion
  • Like 1

I suppose it drifts into the debate about those who want the trade to be completely regulated, with uncertified operators banned and professional bodies overseeing everything (never going to happen) and those who either don’t want that or don’t care.

Ps your written English is excellent (assuming you’re Norwegian)

Takk skal du ha

You have meddled in his business by contacting him and asking questions about something that's got nothing to do with you or the company you work for.

Your long winded nonsense doesn't wash with me. How about minding your own business and letting people get on with theirs.

The only reason I haven't told you what I really think is because you are new to Arbtalk.

Thanks for your consideration and sparing me your real opion for several posts...you shouldn’t have bothered, everyone knows the interwebs is full of over opinionated pimply chat room warriors who spout poison...you’d have saved me from replying courteously to you...but opions is what i asked for and that is what i got, so thanks
  • Like 2