me old Isuzu TFS69 crew cab

wicklamulla

well she'll be 19 years old this year.  In my paws for the last 10 years. I shudda had it rust proofed / waxoyled when i bought it in near mint condition with 52k on the odometer.  Me mechanic / fitter chap said to me a few times over the last few years that she was getting scabby around the rear end and i shud take action to halt or slow down the rust,  but i didn't!    The rest of the chassis from the back window right up to the front number plate is solid. 

I recently remembered Isuzu UK were selling off some new old stock TF chassis' which originally retailed at about £2000 plus VAT some 4/5 years ago.  I contacted them today and lo and behold they said to me they stihl had them sat there!  So they checked the part numbers and sent me some pics. and seeing as they were just sat there gathering dust i cud have one for £200 plus vat! 

Alas they got the part number wrong and the chassis' they have are actually for a 2003 onwards Isuzu Rodeo. 

Seeing as i only required the rear part of the chassis i inquired to see if they had any of old Isuzu / Vauxhall Brava chassis' that had the smaller 2.5 or 2.8 engines fitted as i could cut off the 'new' usable section then cut my existing original chassis at the same location and swap the fuel tank and running gear over and hey presto i'd have a solid back end again.  The answer was NO. 

I reckon she may go thru 1 more MOT but that'll be it then and oil hafta sell it for export or weigh it in.  May eventually look at buying a used Isuzu Rodeo.

9 minutes ago, billpierce said:

Pics please! How many miles on now? Is the chassis unrepairable? Possible to get one fabricated?

how ya Bill,  she be on 130k now,  oil and filter change about every 4k, uprated leaf springs and shocks, gearbox, transfer case and diff oils replaced every 3 years. Non tipping alloy chip box on the back with barn doors. It is pissible to get one fabricated and i know a man who can,  i have yet to approach him though.  Ironically, Isuzu UK rang me back today in a bid to check some more part numbers and try and help me out,  the chap said he looked thru their records and they sold off 2 of the chassis' for £140 each about 4 yeas ago.  He doesn't know if they were sold to a scrap man or a dealer!   

how ya Bill,  she be on 130k now,  oil and filter change about every 4k, uprated leaf springs and shocks, gearbox, transfer case and diff oils replaced every 3 years. Non tipping alloy chip box on the back with barn doors. It is pissible to get one fabricated and i know a man who can,  i have yet to approach him though.  Ironically, Isuzu UK rang me back today in a bid to check some more part numbers and try and help me out,  the chap said he looked thru their records and they sold off 2 of the chassis' for £140 each about 4 yeas ago.  He doesn't know if they were sold to a scrap man or a dealer!   
It's almost better he didn't tell you that! Truck sounds ace. I have just reverted to a mk3 hilux and wish I had never messed about with newer (read early 2000) things.

If the trucks a belter it's worth saving I reckon. And hasn't done so many miles.

Let us know how you get on with it!
  • Like 1

It is a good unit as that 3.1 blats along nicely. I paid £4k (no VAT) ferret 10 years ago so it's been cheap motoring. It's stihl on the original clutch,  it had a new starter motor this year, a rear diff pinion bearing about 5 years ago, new discs (£20 each brand new LOL!). I fitted manual front free wheeling hubs as i prefer them, and apart from basic servicing that's been it really.  They were so much better value for money compared to a Ranger or Hilux.

Incidentally, Isuzu UK have some new old stock chassis' for Daihatsu Fourtracks sat there gathering dust.

Incidentally, Isuzu UK have some new old stock chassis' for Daihatsu Fourtracks sat there gathering dust.

Doubt there’s many decent 4 track bodies worth mounting on a new chassis nowadays.
Although I did pass one recently that was obviously being powered by 28 second heating oil[emoji3]
  • Like 1