Stihl 404 to 3/8 noses

billpierce

Think they rails been for a 404 it would slap all over the place , I’ve never tried it though.. I do recall and I could be wrong that the 36” Oregon bar I had in my 395 May have possibly had 404 written in it but was 3-8 so wondering if could of been dual purpose with a nose sprocket change or if it was just the mount I’m thinking of.

Think they rails been for a 404 it would slap all over the place , I’ve never tried it though.. I do recall and I could be wrong that the 36” Oregon bar I had in my 395 May have possibly had 404 written in it but was 3-8 so wondering if could of been dual purpose with a nose sprocket change or if it was just the mount I’m thinking of.
Aren't the .404 and 3/8 both .063 guage so shouldn't 'slap' but less drive link depth may reduce the oiling efficiency, or am I mistaken.
Should be an expert along shortly.
Shaun
  • Like 1

Aren't the .404 and 3/8 both .063 guage so shouldn't 'slap' but less drive link depth may reduce the oiling efficiency, or am I mistaken.
Should be an expert along shortly.
Shaun
Yep was thinking they are 1.6/0.63 so should work....

In theory IF you had a 3/8 nose sprocket on a 3003 (880) mount with an adapter for mounting on a 660, you could run it.
However you probably wouldn't want to use 3/8 chain on an 880 as the torque is more likely to stretch or snap the chain.
You could get a duromatic bar for the 880, that you could use on the 660 as there is no nose sprocket. Can run both 3/8 and 404 as long as you use correct clutch sprocket.
[emoji106]

I seem to have enough 25 and 36 inch 404 bars for 084 076 880s and not enough for 660. seeing as i destroyed a nose sprocket recently of a 404 bar
Thought I might save a few quid and fit a 3/8 th sprocket.

Seems it's not commonly done. Potentially the 880 bars a pretty heavy as well.....

Thanks for yer thoughts