Which digger best for me, 8, 10 or 12 tonne

difflock

A choice of 3 all within £1,000.00 of other;

(i) a 2006 ZX80LC on city pads

(ii) a 1999 EX100, on steel tracks

(iii)a Kobelco SK115SR, ditto 

I have plenty of room, so dont need a compact digger, nor do I envisage moving the digger myself.

To do general "farm" duties, cleaning sheaughs, extending and maintaining hardstanding, fencing, possibly digging a Pond, plus, just perhaps footering with timber/firewood.

An outlier would be a Case CX145SR, heavier, but at less money.

Thoughts please, I would plump for the ZX80 iffen it were on 600 steels.

marcus

The ex100 on steels would be my choice out of those 3 if it’s in tidy condition.

dont go for zero swingers myself-      I’m nearly always using a digger at full stretch with granite boulders for walling etc- the difference between the two is considerable espeacially at full reach. They’re for urban work and that’s all there is to it.

Steels grip better than rubber and I find better for ‘tracking in’ aggregate. Not sure on replacement costs though as only ever used hired steel machines. 

Matthew,

Yes, I definately need steel tracks, from my personal observations, the city pads might just suffice, but still a bit narrow.

And David, yes whilst I appreciate the extra grunt at reach, associated with a traditional rear engined counterweight layout,

the ability to squeeze and work between trees afforded by the Kobelco could be wile tempting?

For 3k more I could get a Kobelco115 with a blade, but I need to avoid "mission creep", price wise anyway.

And when-not-if, I ever get bogged a lighter machine without a blade will be easier extracted methinks.

Anyway I need to find out what the brand new this morning oily puddle is below the Skoda, before I head off across the water in her, btw I am guessing power steering fluid and at near nuff 8 years and 120,000, no shame to her.

marcus

Edited by difflock

Whew!

Perhaps there is a God in Heaven, oil leak was from the DSG, an me was for Yorkshire et. al. parts last week(as above post), hopefully a new cover and fresh oil will see us right.

The bitch is the damage was almost certainly due to warranty work, since the tin cover is 110% perfect except for where it looks to have been damaged during fitting/refitting and therefore rusted through.(but 6 years ago since warrenty work)

marcus

Edited by difflock

Generallly if u have the room bigger is often best, really all depned wot most of ur work will be and finding the right compramise in size.

When it comes to digging ponds or cleaning wet ditches the extra reach of a bigger digger can be really handy.

With machines its very easy to spend an extra few hundred for this or that and before ur know it ur thousands over budget

Slightly off thread, but see ur city tracks would it be possible to remove some pads and bolt in new pads with decent grousers on them to give u a bit more traction if needed?

I take it u could just buzz them on/off fairly quickly with a decent battery impact wrench nowadays

Also i have a 5T jcb, which could possibly do with some new rubber tracks, is it possible just to replace them with steel tracks? (are the drive sprokets, rollers etc all the same size/type?)

Are u looking at a lot exra to upgrade to steel? Once ur into ur 5t sized diggers quite dear to replace the rubber tracks anyway

drinksloe,

Yes to your first paragraph, 100%

Re the 2nd Para, yes simply unbolt the 450mm wide city-pads, and replace with 600 triple grouser pads.

Re replacing rubber with steel tracks, you must also fit new sprockets, I dont know about the rollers.

cheers

marcus