A fun day, good laughs, clash of the titan saws, a pink rose and lots more!!!

TimberCutterDartmoor

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Evening all- only just got back and had a shower!!

Thanks to TCD- nice one again Jon, the day went realy well, really impressed (again) by the splitter. Sorry about forcing you to endure the rain and hail.....pretty grim wasnt it. I am fiinally warm and dry again now.

Dave- well spotted on the cable tie. Yeah, its a throwback to the days when the 088 was used for milling before the bandsaw came on the scene, i was wearing gloves today (rare occurrence) and didnt notice the cable tie slipping - it happened several times, and unfortunately TCD managed to get it on film...

The whole tree went for firewood (still got about 10' of the 56" dia. trunk left). I find i cannot get rid of beech at all as people see it as a figureless timber (which is not totally untrue) and plus this was just a clearance job after the storms, the pics dont show the extensive damage the tree suffered when it hit the deck, rendering the timber useless- it was cracked to pieces.

Oh yeah....390 xp which we ran in today........i'm in love with a husky......WTF????????

Nice saw Jon.

Edited by tommer9

Nice job lads my kinda job that something to get your teeth into. That is the first stump vice i have seen in a picture on Arbtalk. Good idea with having the splitter with you.:thumbup:

It was certainly something we could get our teeth into- there is still about 12' of trunk left and the owner has a mountain of logs too. Well spotted on the stump vice BTW, i had to look back at the thread to find which pic it was in....well spotted!!:thumbup:It is a tool that is always in the file box, as i sem to spend time getting trees out of bogs, and on that job we had 2 48" bars, a 28" bar and a 20", and loads of granite rocks about, so sharpening was deffo on the agenda, although having said that i was pretty lucky. I had to sharpen the 088 after about 4 cuts, once i had got through a load of dirt in the centre of the tree, and tickled it and the 390xp later in the day, so not too much downtime at all. That splitter system of TCD's works really really well. I cut about 4 or five 8" thick rings at a time, then cut them into handleable chunks which i then put on the trailer....TCD then split them and maxed out the landy and then i went and tipped them at the owners place 50 yds up the road. Went well all day, the only slight downside being the hideous wetness and hail. Got to go back on monday to finish it and take down a small sycamore and price a huge ash takedown too. Happy days.:thumbup1:

I like the old stump vice when i get a windblown oak in the park it is just an easy way to sharpen your saw sitting on a log. The old trees in the park usually have metal guards still inside them:cursing: This week i have been cutting old Elms down in a hedge row around an old meadow and you guessed it barbed wire in the trunks:lol:

I like the old stump vice when i get a windblown oak in the park it is just an easy way to sharpen your saw sitting on a log. The old trees in the park usually have metal guards still inside them:cursing: This week i have been cutting old Elms down in a hedge row around an old meadow and you guessed it barbed wire in the trunks:lol:

I have started a collection in the field for my missus to jump horses over.......made from all those lovely hedgerow or domestic trees that have spent their unfortunate lives acting as nail/ fencing staple/ gate crook/ chicken wire........ storage facilities.:thumbdown:Found a piece of car mat nailed 20' up a cherry tree hidden in the ivy the other day:confused1: