200t clutch....

stewmo

Have been putting some tlc into the 200 this weekend and was replacing the sprocket and had a close look at the clutch and it looks quite worn where the springs go through even though working fine....see pic attached
Assume I should replace?
Is there anything else I should have a look at seeing as I’m ordering parts?
Thanks in advance

IMG_1525603316.614796.thumb.jpg.7a39689e968a09cd2b4cd8abff7e4e4b.jpg

It’s a bit hard to see in your pic with the light. But...

Umm seems a bit strange, the colour of the spring covers are different. Sommachi must have been in before and twiddled with it. (Someone has fixed before) but all oem, so that’s good.

those cultch springs are known to wear into the shoes after some long term use.(all saws) The normal user notices clutch engages differently. Ie sooner and disengages later,  this can lead to clutch slipping at lower revs, and chain rotating on the bar a bit longer.

the same symptoms as worn springs.

edit:  till it breaks through then it’s like a broken spring. And then that can lead to other problems @14k, wiping out the  oil pump etc. 

Edit, re read this morn, and realised (school boy error) out board clutch. So the oil pump would be ok, ?

so the real answer is,,,yes it’s worth getting a new one and they are very easy to fit, (I can see you’ve removed it) with a bit of old starter cord and the right spanner. 

Cheers

I think stihls manuals states when the spring is level, ie  the spring end sits  flush in the shoe. 

Cheap insurance if you ask me ?

Edited by Wonky
Addition
  • Like 2

Worth pulling the springs off the shoes to see if the actual shoe is that worn. The sprocket needs to be checked for wear, the chain brake mechanism needs cleaning, the brake guard shouldn't wobble too and forth, it should be SPRUNG using a flat spring which commonly breaks through poor cleaning. The chain catchers are often missing on these saws and also check and clean the recoil cover and rope.

I do much more than this on my rebuilds but these are the relatively simple things to do.

• Like 1

Worth pulling the springs off the shoes to see if the actual shoe is that worn. The sprocket needs to be checked for wear, the chain brake mechanism needs cleaning, the brake guard shouldn't wobble too and forth, it should be SPRUNG using a flat spring which commonly breaks through poor cleaning. The chain catchers are often missing on these saws and also check and clean the recoil cover and rope.
I do much more than this on my rebuilds but these are the relatively simple things to do.

The wear on the sprocket is visible (but minimal) but I suspect you would say to change?

IMG_1525637450.844861.jpg