New Laser scanning technology can help 'weigh' trees

Gary Prentice

45 minutes ago, Vespasian said:

people will believe absolutely anything..

How does a laser get through leaves to begin with?..  must do it in winter when theres no leaves blocking the view.. oh, but then again the other branches in the way.. is it on a drone?..

I've an idea, guesstimate the volume as best can be scientifically ascertained and you'll do better than spending 150 grand on some stupid gizmo dreamed up by some bozo wanna be science student...

People, most scientific literature is bollocks on a stick...  just because its in a science rag don't mean shit..   

The grass cutter from Bolton has spoken.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Gary Prentice said:

The grass cutter from Bolton has spoken.

Come back when its explained how its done. all I've read is its done with lasers..  not much to go there is there.. 

Mind you, you post a report to a scientific rag and it says lasers were used to get at the stats, they're much happier to publish the story..

Tells you more about the quality of the editors than any science that might,(caugh) be involved..

3 hours ago, Arborowen said:

Its sounds impressive, previous posts highlight the potential limitations. Regarding species, this depends on some additional "boots on the ground" assessments of the survey area. Hollow trees? probably not is the answer as its difficult to say when your standing in front of it let alone with lasers! 

Years ago I used to joke with one of my brothers that you can literally do anything with lasers and everything should have a laser. It appears, that from measuring gravity from space, trees, Lidar to name a few, my joking is now with some foundation.

Sorry, I missed your reply due to getting sidetracked by the troll. The 'hollow' thing is an in-joke and wasn't meant to be taken seriously.

I think that the whole 'weighing trees' thing is simply click bait  by the popular press and media. I'm still trying to access the peer reviewed articles(not the beano or huff post) to find out a bit more about the methodology. 

Or maybe they just made it all up:lol:

17 minutes ago, Pete W said:

Well it would help had I been a mathematician.. as it is I can't be expected to make any sense of all that galumph.

If your asking me, just ask a logging company how much they extract per hectare and build an analysis on that. I'm sure its much easier to calculate from logging data and extrapolating that data to cover a wider area of interest than faffing about the way these morons are doin it..

reminds of the story of the money NASA spent inventing a pen that works in space, only to find the Russians used a pencil..

1 hour ago, Vespasian said:

Come back when its explained how its done. all I've read is its done with lasers..  not much to go there is there..

20 minutes ago, Vespasian said:

Well it would help had I been a mathematician.. as it is I can't be expected to make any sense of all that galumph.

:banghead:

• Haha 1

Interesting article - looks like they are going for the whole bio-mass , carbon sequestering and ultimately a saleable data source for owners or the country involved . Could have uses in our Arb industry RE growth patterns and disease recognition. K