Help! 550 xp chain brake woes

chrisjpainter

can anyone help me extricate myself from a mess? I can't get the chain brake back together. where does the brake spring sit in relation to the knee joint assembly? i've got it sitting in what feels like a natural position, but there's no movement in order to engage/disengage. right now it looks like this...

The area in the red circle. is that correct, or should the knee joint be flat. if so, does that mean the spring should be much more compressed?

many thanks.

Chris

Capture.JPG

Edited by chrisjpainter
tension to compression

If I remember right (I'm not taking mine apart to look, sorry!!) then you have it in the right place.  All these husky chain brakes need to be assembled with the brake on, then you need to take it "off" before fitting it on the saw, which would straighten out the joint.  The way I've done it, and I think the way in the service manual is to remove the handle from the saw (watch out for little sprung rocker thingy when you put it back) and use this as the tool to reset it.  A bit of a pain, and we had one person holding the cover down (or use a vice or clamp?)  and another on the handle, but does work.

A

Dont try and compress the spring anymore. Just replace the grey plastic cover and screws, place it on the saw (easier if you get rid of the bar and chain) and move the chain brake handle back and forth a bit while pushing on the sprocket cover in the area the handle locates into it. Once it slots in keep pushing on the sprocket cover and pull the chain brake handle to disengage the chain brake. 

• 3 years later...