Oregon depth gauge not as marked 0.025" (0.63mm)

David Heaf

4 minutes ago, Joe Newton said:

I Just use the correct depth guage meter. Every couple of sharpens or if I remove a lot of material.

My chains always cut near enough to new. 

Never been tempted to check my meter with calipers though. 

I find they cut better than new after a few sharpens . The top plate is not so wide and removes less wood .  I throw the chain out after it has lost 3 or more cutters :D

Edited by Stubby
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Joe Newton said:

So why after 37 years is this suddenly an issue. 

I'm pretty anal about sharpening but this is a bit much even for me. 

Depends what you mean by "an issue" i suppose. I thought the OP had simply made an observation and took the time to investigate it. Results shared on here.   Nowt wrong with that.

And if after 37 years of sharpening chains he spots an improvement that can give him a better chain - even though he was happy with previous chains, that's no bad thing either. 

I have always blindly used the depth gauge to set rakers but i don't really know what depth they are at. ... might be some room for improvement.

Just my 2 pence worth.

3 hours ago, Wonkydonkey said:

Yeh but that's like discovering what a real sharp Chain cuts like when you borrow a mates saw,  then you realise you been doin it wrong, for how many yrs

i'm always up for learning that someone else can teach you a new trick..

I believe we are in agreement, along with the OP .....

Edit: measured my much used depth gauge - like 0.6mm, little wear despite the use. But i think a much more relevant measurement would be to measure the raker depths of the sharpened chain (not the gauge).... which I've yet to do. 

Edited by bmp01

I honestly think there is a working top and bottom limit and does not make a huge difference if you are somewhere in that range .  obviously it wont cut at all if the rakers are as tall or taller than the front edge of the cutter but slightly  high  rakers  will be a smoother cut  and slightly low rakers will be a rougher feel to the cut .